Re-sizing images

I have an image that is far too big, however when i go to photoshop to try

and re-size it, photoshop tells me that it is only 10*5 cm, when it is actually

more like 100*50 cm.

Does anyone know how i can overcome this?

cheers

There is a difference between print sizes and the size of the image in pixels.

A 3000x2100 pixel image that wants to print at 300dpi will end up 10x7.

Change either the size of the image in pixels, or the printed dpi and you will change the size of the print.

Is the image to be printed or used on the web? That will have a bearing on how you resize. There are (at least) three ways to resize images in photoshop. Perhaps the easiest is to use the crop tool. Set the size in inches or pixels, set your desired dpi, and make your crop. Another way is to use Resize Image (Image>Resize>Image Size). Make sure Resample Image is checked, set your desired image dimensions and dpi and click. The last way is File>Save for Web.

Rereading my post, I could have answered better. Jpeg images come out of my 10D at 3072 x 2048 pixels at 180 dpi. The 180 dpi is a Canon default. I think they figure that's the lowest dpi that will make a decent print. I don't know - havent' tried it. Anyway, this jpeg will make a print 11 x 17 inches at 180 dpi. If I uncheck Resample image and change the dpi (in the resize window) to 240 dpi the dimension in inches drops to 8x13 (approx). With Resample Image unchecked, there is no interpolation happening. The print will be smaller because the dpi is more dense.

Now if I check Resample Image, leaving the dpi at 240, I can type any width or height I want, such as a height of 14, which results in a 14x21 inch print at 240 dpi. In other words, I can set what ever print size and dpi I want (with Resample Image checked) and the bicubic interpolation will create an image of that size. If you over do it, you can expect some image degradation.

I recently had a 4x6 FOOT banner made for a client from a 6mp image, and the client loved it. A pro shop made it, but I think they used an up sizing program other than PS bicubic.

Yeah, there are two factors in an image's "size", one is the pixel dimension in the horizontal and vertical directions. This is real. The other is a print setup parameter, setting default print size. This is pure pie-in-the-sky, easily adjusted in various programs, and confuses everyone at one point or another. It's just a small flag within the file. Do be careful that you don't resample your image in an attempt to change the printing size. In Photoshop's size dialogue there is a box that you need to untick. To access, you right-click the marging along top of image, and choose size, or something similar. Maybe check out www.scantips.com.