What rangefinder for tropical region?

cm1

Sometimes it is wise to be poor... especially on a backpacking tour through

middle america. My daughter and her boyfriend will leave in a few weeks, and she

will leave her little digital toy camera here and asked her father for advice.

Well, my knowledge is limited, but I think a lightweight rangefinder from the

70s will be a good choice - inexpensive, rangefinder, sharp, fixed lens,

lightmeter, no AF, no motor.

What camera would you choose if you would have to carry it and that is reliable

enough for tropical weather and a backpacking tour?

I still remember some very good cameras... Yashica electro, Minolta Hi-Matic G2,

Canonet... probably many of them are still available, but some age better than

others, and reliablity is a major issue.

What do you suggest?

It's a bad idea to take a camera that one isn't used to on a trip. I live in Bangkok where it's

how and humid and have the Leica M6 as well as the Ricoh GR-D, Leica D-lux 3 and the

Leica V-Lux 1. I have no problem with these digital time in that climate. And these small-

sensor camera are not toys. For your daughter suddenly to start using a film camera for

the first time on this trip may result in a pictures that are a lot worse than what she can

take digtally, as she won't see the results until she gets back, which means that she'll have

no chance to learn and adjust.

<p>

If you look at my <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/

72157594271568487/show/"><u>Bangkok series</u> </a>

you'll be hard pressed to tell which pcitures were taken with what camera: of the 113 in

the series, I took 48 with the M6 mainly on Tri-X and the rest with the Ricoh GR-D, except

for about a dozen that I took with the D-Lux 3.

<p>

--Mitch/Potomac, MD

If she likes her little digital toy camera, she'll probably be happier with a waterproof digital P&S than with an old rangefinder. The waterproof digital will probably be lighter, smaller, and more likely to survive the trip, as well. Do a search on the B&H Photo website for "waterproof digital," and it will show you some options.

The best camera is usually the one you know best. It's a good idea to have a rangefinder, but it would be wise to practice first, especially if one is used to digital. Electro 35 is a very funny companion and cheap nowadays, but a little bit big. For a smaller sized one, it would be difficult to beat Canonet GIII ql17.

<< ... some age better than others, and reliability is a major issue ... >>

True. And also true.

But not one of them is ageless. A 30 yr-old camera, whether purchased on ebay, at a camera store, or at a yard sale, may be a camera in need of service.

And I agree with both of Mitch's observations:

(i) 'New' gear (new to your daughter, that is) carries a real risk of error -- picture-spoiling type of error -- due to unfamiliarity, unless of course she fires off several test rolls before leaving for her adventure; and

(ii) While there are some "little digital toy cameras," not all of them are toys. Far from it. Some are very capable and surprisingly versatile machines.

Suggested compromise: You select, test, and purchase the film rangefinder as a gift. But for the trip I'd encourage her to take both cameras.

I've had 3 cameras poop out unexpectedly: one film rf (see forum title for the 'mystery brand'), one p & s film camera, and one digital slr. It happens. Good idea to have back-up when you travel, unless circumstances make that impossible.

Which film rf ? Well, Canonet QL17 GIII is good, but has no metered manual -- meter turns off when you leave the shutter priority autoexposure mode. Konica Hexar Auto S2 is good, and solidly built, but it's a bit heavy. Oly XA is good, and absolutely pocket-sized, but it's strictly an aperture priority autoexposure camera and handling is a little fiddly (extraordinarily light touch electronic shutter release). There are other more "classic" Oly's as well (35 RC, 35 SP, etc.), and Yashicas, and Minoltas, and .....

Your job: find one that actually works. Also note that many take the no-longer-sold mercury cells. There are ways around this, discussed often on photo.net and elsewhere.

One other alternative: If her current digital camera really is closer to a toy, or has seen its better days, she gets (or you get for her) a newer, more capable one. Some of them (certain models by Pentax, Olympus, and Ricoh, I believe) are even weather-sealed.

I've gone on too long. I hope your daughter has a great trip to America. Incidentally, we don't think of middle America as a 'tropical region' -- but I it certainly can feel like one when you're there in July or August. :-)

Look at the Olympus Stylus Infinity. Smallest and easiest camera, I ever had and still have. Be sure if you get one for her to school her on the 'fill flash.' I really works great and is wonderful for dark faces against a landscape vista. The only downside is it is plastic, so dropping is out.

Clemens,

I gather from some earlier posts that your daughter is already using a TLR and a handheld lightmeter. On the assumption that she and her boyfriend are going to backpack through Central America, in their place I would take one camera between them, something like a Leica M3 with perhaps two lenses. But that is because I am not familiar with less expensive options. I'm interested, actually, in hearing the views of people who are. For me, the key issue would be the logistics as between film rolls and digital storage, which would depend in part on how much time I would expect to spend in urban vs. rural areas. I also wouldn't dismiss taking the TLR.

Sounds like a great adventure.

Just to clean up... I had not explained a few things properly:

- She will not take the TLR with her. A TLR and SLR are simply too big and heavy, a handheld lightmeter is extra weight and therefor not the best solution.

- The first target is Costa Rica - is that central or middle america?

- It is not sure that there will be electricity available everywhere, that's why shooting digital is no option.

- She is not very experienced, so the "mini equipment" must be very easy to use.

- I read the words "Olympus mju II" and "Yashica T3" - small, lightweight, weatherproof, good lenses - in other threads. Is that an option? Are these cameras solid enough for such a tour?

Hi,

Central America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_America

Middle America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_America_(North_America)

Also Middle America: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_America_(United_States)

If you do a search on photo.net for "Central America", you will get a lot of hits. You will also find that a lot of people who go to Central America take digital cameras.

Hello Clemens

I am working on a project in Latin America. Costa Rica is in Central America. A common

reference to mid-America would be the central states of the US. Thats the way us gringos

look at it at least.

Rangefinders are finicky for beginners though. My wife uses a Leica Mini-lux Zoom with

very good results. Shes used it in Thailand, Mexico, China etc etc and I must say I'm

impressed with this camera.

As far as digital in C.America. The world has changed my friend. In many places there are

Kodak and Fuji Kiosks with Wal Marts not far behind. There are internet cafes all over the

place she can use for a few pesos. I would not worry about electricity. Just take extra

batteries and one of those Wolverine or Epson hard drives to download after a long day of

photography. Pricey..... One nice thing about digital too, if she photographs someone she

can give them a print if near one of those kiosks. Some of the people in the region would

really appreciate that.

Wonderful friendly part of the world!!! I wish her the best.

I give up. The first link, for Central America, works, but when you copy and paste the other Wikipedia links, you get a different page when you then use them.

Anyway, to answer your question, in the English language, Costa Rica is in Central America. Middle America includes Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean. Middle America is also a US sociological/cultural term that is also sometimes used to describe the Midwestern States.

Cheers.

Without wishing to tempt fate I've never found I'm the most "attractive" to potential thieves when I'm backpacking. Whatever I take someone always has something bigger and shinier. I don't think her digital camera will make her stand out at all - even way off the beaten track I always seem to stumble across someone with a big shiny white lens or, on one memorable occasion a German student a couple of hours walk from the nearest road looking for the same pyramid as us with a couple of Hasselblads slung over her shoulders.

That doesn't answer your question though - I second the suggestion of the Olympus XA.

I would second the suggestion for waterproof digital. Olympus makes a rugged one, Pentax makes a small one as well. Fuji and Ricoh also make a 'Construction site' camera that is big and rugged. Not sure if they are available outside Japan. The Ricoh one is called 500G, borrowing the name from one of their early famous fixed lens rangefinders.

Having gone to those areas myself, I'd suggest a rugged digital camera. I think the lenses and the M8 result in wonderful, rich colors. I'd prefer that over my Nikon d2xs, for example, because of the color and the size.

I strongly suggest digital rather than film because of the spoilage/storage issues and the ever increasing hassle bring a hundred rolls of film through customs.

If budget were an issue, I'd take one of the high end Canon point-and-shoot cameras because they do 90% of the job of their bigger brothers in a small package.

If your kid is like my kid she doesn't want anything to do with film and it isn't right to force your nostalgia on her. They want to share pix over the net etc. Let her take her digital and buy her a waterproof backpack or at least a waterproof bag big enough for the camera and charger. And a spare battery or two and some memory cards so she doesn't need to carry a portable HD. In worst case if something happens to the camera and she can't buy one locally, you could fedex her a replacement.

I'd go for a Canon A-series point and shoot. They're great values, compact, have a lot of features, use easy-to-find AA batteries and use SD cards. The A550 uses two AA batteries which are good for around 360 shots, or up to 900 if only the optical viewfinder is used to compose the image. Combine that with a pair of 2GB SD cards and they should have plenty of shooting capability to get them from one metro center to another, where they can burn their images onto a DVD and mail home.

Hmm...I see on Amazon.com that 2GB SD cards can be had for under USD$20. They could actually bring enough SD cards for the entire trip (cheaper than film) so they'd only have to make sure they can find AA batteries which should be available everywhere.

BTW, I recommend 2GB SDs so they can mail them home and/or have backups in case any of them fails.

As much as I love my little Olympus Stylus Epic, I find my Canon A610 to be much more useful for many, many reasons. If water is a concern, bring two A550's (they're under $200) and keep one wrapped in plastic and tucked into the bottom of a backpack.

And for what it's worth, I have visited Costa Rica before and didn't find it to be too wet or damp for my camera (back then it was a Minolta SLR). I just had to make sure I put my camera away when it rained, because it could REALLY rain hard there.

larsbc

First off, I am gonig to agree on it being a bad idea to take a camera you are not expirenced with on a trip like that. But, to answer you question, I have a few recomendations.

First you might want to look into the Olympus half frame cameras. Their SLRs and RFs are quiet nice and normally rather inexpensive. They also give 72 shots on a 36 shot roll. Remeber that backpacking you also have to deal with the volume of the film.

Next, I really like the Minolta Hi-Matic series. Reliable and sharp. But I haven't used them in bad weather.

In all truth when it comes to bad weather, I pack up my RFs and switch over to my Olympus E-1 system. The E-1 is a small durrable, and weather sealed DSLR. Mine has been washed in a sink, covered in wet clay, used in rain that caused flash floods, etc. It keeps on ticking:)

So for me backpacking I take eother my E-1, or my Contax G1. My G2 and M6 stay home...

I just came back from Costa Rica with a realization that works for me, and I'll offer as an unscientific principle: Central America is for long lenses (details in forest, animals, architectural details, people) and Europe is for wide-angles (plazas, fountains, church interiors).

Hence, since she's going to Costa Rica, any camera with a good zoom should do. Humidity is not terribly high down there (I took my Leicas to San José and the Manuel Antonio beach two years ago), and there's plenty of support for digital shooters (stores selling gear, accessories, printing services and the like).

Hence, a rangefinder won't cut it too well in Costa Rica. But that's my humble opinion. Otherwise, the country is nice, welcoming and beautiful. Just warn her about going out after dark: it's not always advisable.

Good luck!