Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi (a.k.a. 400D)

amy_wilson

I often use 30D as a second camera to my full frame. I like the 30d's fpc and

the 1.6x to get a different focal length to my full frame.

Is upgrading to 400D worth it? I am interested in the 400D due to the self

sensor cleaning system and the price. Any comment is appreciated?

I own the 30D (as well as 10D) and just bought an XTi. I bought it because of its small size

and light weight, which I'm always looking at since I carry a camera constantly. Frankly, I

like the camera so much I rarely pick up the others anymore. Is it built as well as a 30D?

No, but then I can buy two of them for what a 30D costs. Having said that, the build

quality seems pretty good for the money.

<p>As for image quality, the XTi seems better to me. I shoot RAW exclusively, so I can't

say anything about the Jpeg quality out of camera, but I'm impressed with the data coming

off the sensor. The interface is a bit different, but it didn't take me long to adjust to it.

And, I (like a lot of reviewers I've read) was surprised that I actually liked all the camera

data displayed on the back display.

<p>Even though I have big hands, the camera is comfortable to hold for me; but, many

reviewers seem to disagree.

<p>To me, the small size and light weight with great image quality is an unbeatable

combination. And even though it may not be as durable as the 30D, I see no reason to

think it, even with fairly heavy use, it won't last until I'm ready to replace it with the "next

big thing" in small and light from Canon. Relationships with digital camera models are

usually more like summer romances than long term marriages, anyway.

"...was surprised that I actually liked all the camera data displayed on the back display..."

Huh? You don't like the top display? Also Jim, sounds like you never shoot in manual... it's a PITA to adjust aperture on the 400D tithout the back wheel...

The top display on the 30D is fine (as well as on the d30, d60 and 10d I also own or have

owned), I just don't miss it on the Xti. I do shoot in manual when necessary, but mostly in

aperture priority. I still don't find it that big a problem in manual, though. Of course, my first

serious camera in 1960 was a 4x5 Speed Graphic, so most anything since has seemed fast to

adjust! :)

I say wait. You seem to have a good kit now and there doesn't seem to be a pressing need for you to get a new body.

The next round of Canon announcements should be sometime between mid August to mid September... the 30D replacement (and, perhaps, a FF body too) should/could be included in that crop of releases.

--

"between mid August to mid September... the 30D replacement (and, perhaps, a FF body too) should/could be included in that crop of releases."

There might be a backlog as everybody rushes to dish their 30D/20D for the so-called new replacement wich will have 10+ megapixel, sensor cleaning, weather-sealed, (IS) body, in camera editing ?

I bought a XTi as a backup to a 20D. It's a very nice camera, but other than the pixel count and the sensor cleaning, it's not an upgrade.

However:

I can testify from personal experience, photographing with both cameras under very dusty conditions, that the sensor cleaning makes a big difference. Not a speck on the XTi, but had to clean the 20D sensor and touch up too many pictures taken with the 20D.