Way to track stolen equipment?

I recently lost most of my good camera equipment to thieves including a Mami

C330, Canon A1, Seagull TLR, and a Canon 20D. I realize that ther's no way to

track a film camera, but the 20D has a unique ID number embedded in every shot

that it takes, which is preserved by lots of editing programs. I'm wondering

if there's a way to track a camera by this ID number if, say, shots are posted

to online sites from my camera. I'm ready to pummel some punk ass over this.

I miss my cameras. Any ideas?

Hi Grayson, That really sucks - I'm sorry. Of course you never can tell but I wouldn't count on finding it the way you describe. For example Photoshop's "Save For Web" strips out exif data. And even if it didn't I'm not aware of a way to track it that way - although it's a good idea. I'm afraid the best thing is insurance. If all of the gear was stolen from your car your automobile insurance *might* cover it, ditto if it was from your home and you have homeowner's insurance. Good luck!

It was stolen from my car, and I usually don't leave my cameras in the car, but... well hell... anyway, the car insurance won'

t cover it but the homeowner's insurance will cover at least part of it... though how much is, at this point, unclear, as I don't have reciepts for everything. Still beyond the point, though, as I'm really mostly interested in getting my hands around the neck of the f***ers that stole my kit in the first place and getting the three rolls of film that were in my cameras back...

The only way would be if Google or one of their search engine competitors were indexing that particular metadata and making it available for searches. That seems very unlikely, but I guess stranger things have happened.