Pentax-A SMC f1.7 50mm price?

jim_karthauser

Hi all, I have one of these that I would like to sell. I know nothing about

pentax (I use canon) so does anyone have any idea how much this should be

worth? Its perfect working order. Whats the difference between pentax-A and

pentax-M as I also have a pentax-M 50mm 1.7.

All answers appreciated. Thanks

I would recommend looking at KEH and e-bay for what others are selling this for. These are reasonably commonly sold with manual 35mm camera bodies which is how I got mine. The 'A' is more desirable than the older 'M' because it allows use of all exposure modes (Program AE, Shutter priority, etc.) on the D-SLRs. The 1.7 is also considered of higher quality (as well as speed) than the very common f/2.0.

The speed difference between f:1,7 and f:2 is totally meaningless.

Although the 50/1.7 is undoubtedly a fine lens the quality of the 50/2 is amply sufficient for a present DSLR.

I paid 50 euros (USD 65) for an M 50/1.4. I think an A series lens can be a little bit more expensive but f:1.7 should be less expensive than f:1.4 Perhaps you can ask for USD 100 and come down until the price is acceptable for both parties. If you don't need Pentax lenses you should sell them before Hoya-Pentax stops manufacturing cameras.

The 50mm f1.7A is optically substantially a better lens than the f2 (at least the A version). It is also significantly lighter than a f1.4 lens and is a better lens to reverse for macro work than a f1.4.

As to price, they USED to run about $60-80 used. I wouldn't care to bet what you might be able to get for them now. In addition to checking out keh, go to ebay (you have to be a user) and use the 'completed items' section to see what they have been selling for currently.

I believe I paid about $70 for mine a couple of months ago. It is a splendid lens and well

worth the money. I wouldn't over look the earlier K-mounts without the A however. I have a

couple of those and they are easy to use and give wonderful results. One does have to rotate

the aperture ring however; a task which many digital photgraphers seem to find cumbersome

or difficult for some reason. They would rather spin the little dials on the camera.

Ken

I actually had a really difficult time finding an A-series 50/1.7 a few months ago when I was shopping for one. The ones I did find were in mediocre to poor condition and were still going for at least $50. Eventually I did manage to find a decent one for under $100. The A-series 50/1.4s were even more difficult to find, and way out of my price range.

People selling the 50mm f1.4 are getting smart and not even messing with 'no reserve' auctions and just listing them as 'Buy Now' for like $189 or so. I've seen a bunch go between $150 and $250 now..

There are options however, and I'll probably kick my self in the rear for saying this but.. One way to get a 50mm f1.4 is to get the screw mount version and buy a screw to k-mount adapter (screw mounts are far cheaper, under $75 mostly). The other, and this is my little secret, is to look closely at all the 'pentax 35mm cameras' for sale.. Some have the k-mount 50mm f1.4 mounted to the camera but not described (only shown in photo) with no bids and no reserve.. Yours for maybe $10 plus shipping :)

• 1 year later...
Tom, i cant believe i have not thought of that! anyways, i got a Asahi SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 off ebay that is attached to a Pentax 35mm SLR for $46 whereas auctions for the particular lens alone usually goes up to around $60-70, i've even seen a 50mm f2 gone up to $100+ for some reason..