Nikon EM Any Good ? Mirror Slap Problems ?

jay_huse

I am looking for the lightest weight SLR camera for when I go running. I want

something super cheap as well that will give good results. I am afraid of

droping my DSLR gear and my Nikon N80 seems too heavy.

I have a few P&S but the lure of 35mm seems to be a good idea for more

marketable photos.

I am curious if the Nikon EM camera has mirror slap problems in giving users

sharp photos ?

Ken Rockwell kind of hammered this camera saying he would not use it for day

photography because of this reason.

Have you folks noticed any problems ? I also like the idea of a fully manual

camera if I decide to go on hiking trip something very small and light with

notihing to go wrong.

Your thoughts

Jay

If you are looking for a lightweight "disposable" Nikon film SLR, you might consider the FG over the EM (or FG-20). It has the same form factor and can be had cheaply, but allows for considerably more utility with manual and program exposure modes in addition to the aperture priority of the EM.

IMO the worst of the mirror slap in the EM/FG/FG-20 series occurs at the end of the mirror return motion, i.e. AFTER the exposure has already been completed. I didn't find the mirror UP slap to be any worse than any other lightweight SLR I have used.

I haven't had mirror slap problems with my EM, but I don't often use it. It lacks full control over shutter speeds which is a dealbreaker for me. You're stuck with either aperture priority or 1/90th.

If you're looking for lightweight, why not an F55 or F65?

The EM is slightly limited with it's aperture priority metering only. But it works just fine within these limits. I have shot with an EM for years when I needed a light weight body. And the results are the same as my other NIKON bodies. Untill digital, photography was always about the lens, not the camera. Ken Rockwell is a dope, and wouldn't know a good camera from a shoe box.

I would purchase an FM2 or an FE2. They are pretty small and so are the lenses. An 85mm manual lens is about half the size of the 85mm AF lens. Of course there is no auto focusing. Olympus also makes some very small manual cameras and lenses.

<p>The FM2 is rugged and made to resist. With a 50mm f/1.8 AIS weights around 800gr./1.7lb. That is a nice combo that I've used for years when I go hiking (mainly because it was the only lens I've had, ;-P)

<p>D40x and a 50mm f/1.8 AF would weight about the same and give excelent pictures. The 50mm/1.8AF is double size than the AIS version but it weights about the same (AF is plastic made and AIS is metal). The D40x with 50mm/1.8 is a pretty compact combo too, the D40x body is narrower than the FM2 but is deeper and taller.

I've shot extensively with EM's over the years. Never had an issue with mirror slap unless I'm down around 1/30th.

Ken Rockwell is a fount of stupidity with occasional gems. His opinion on the EM is not one of the gems.

The EM is a great little camera for when you you want light & small. Gonna have to get myself another one (mine was recently stolen) and a 45/2.8P to go with it.

I agree, the mirror issue is not significant, but IMHO, the FG is a MUCH more versatile camera for only a few dollars more. Nowadays, a working EM body should only run around $20, but an FG should cost less than $50 as well, and anyone who's serious about their photography would undoubtedly appreciate the added features for user control in the FG.

• 11 months later...

You might want to get a N80 (ok, I am late posting this, but better late than never). Quietest shutter I have found on an SLR. The EM just doesn't have enough features to use effectively.

I used to think Ken Rockwell was a dope, but now realize he is god (a lesser one, but still a god). He goes out on a limb on a lot of subjects, but generally he knows exactly what he is talking about. It is good to have someone like him around, as internet photography is soooo full of anal types hung up on lens charts and their own little opinions. And that's all it is... his opinions. In the words of Aaron Neville, he tells it like it is. This upsets some people. Who cares?