EOS 3 + PB-E2 + 24-70/2.8L white water rafting?

PatrickMP

<p>G'day folks.</p>

<p>I've been invited on a white water rafting trip in a few weeks, and I'd like

to take some pictures. I wouldn't dream of taking my 10D along for the ride, so

I'll be bringing my EOS-3. I've got some questions on durability, that

hopefully some of you can help with:</p>

<ul>

<li>I've read that the EOS-3 is sealed as well as the EOS-1N, but not as well as

the 1V. I've only found one report of a user taking their 1V white water

rafting. Should I be concerned about bringing the EOS-3?</li>

<li>All reports of sealing refer to the body itself, but nobody mentions the

PB-E2. Will the use of the PB-E2 degrade the seal quality of the camera? I'm

worried about where the drive connects to the body, and the electrical contacts

there.</li>

<li>What about lenses? The only lens I'll be bringing is the 24-70/2.8L. I've

just looked at the Canon site for EF lenses, and they state: "t's now sealed

and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF

faster than ever." Does anybody know how good these seals and gaskets are?</li>

</ul>

<p>Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br />- Patrick</p>

I personally have no experience with that setup but I do know that you get completely soaked while white water rafting....and the camera will probably end up the same way. The weather sealed design is meant for shooting in slightly wet conditions like in the rain. It's for sure not meant to go under water. Huge waves of water hitting the camera from white water rafting is kind of in between the rain and under water. I personally wouldn't risk it.

You and your equipment will be as soaked as if submerged, and that's a good possibility too. Not to mention the jarring. Even if you're willing to sacrifice the EOS 3, don't take that lens. Get a P&S, lots advertised as waterproof enough for that

While the bags may be pretty good, Murphy's Law works on the H2O, and the sight of that gear floating away down the river might be the only memory you keep of the trip

<p>Thanks for the answers thus far. I've looked at the EOS 3 review here on <a href="http://www.photo.net/">Photo.net</a> but there isn't mention as to how much exposure the camera was given during the actual rafting.</p>

<p>It's times like this I wish I had a Nikonos (time to head over to the Nikon forum for some questions on that!) :) But I will consider the waterproof P&S (I was actually thinking of a disposable waterproof P&S, but maybe buying a cheap one for stuff like this would be a good idea.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br />- Patrick</p>

I had a 1VHS with the PB-E2 and always worried about where the battery pack joined to the body in terms of weather proofing. In other words... there didn't seem to be any there. I've heard of some people wrapping tape around it at the juncture but never tried that myself. Good luck!

I don't want to seem rude, but I have to ask - why do you want to bring such a big camera

rig on a whitewater trip?

Is your trip a day trip, or is it over several days? Does the guide control the raft (ie center

orr platform) or are the passengers required/expected to paddle? If you are required to

paddle, and if your trip is on rivers that do much above Class III, you sure won't be

messing with your camera during the fun parts. I also can't imagine how much miserable

it would be to have that camera, the PB-E2, and that heavy lens around your neck, over

your flotation vest. Think this through, man! These trips can be violent.

In any case, if you decide to bring the camera along, plan for it (or the camera in its

case/carrier/whatever) to get completely submerged so you aren't devastated if/when it

happens.

Good luck, and research "dry bags".

<p>Robert, I haven't been rafting before, and I'll admit that I don't have much experience in the matter. As it stands I've been invited, but I haven't had a chance to do much research into the trip. I asked about the EOS 3 because my Canon gear is the most comprehensive system that I have, followed by my Pentax gear (and I chose Canon over Pentax for this particular trip since the EOS 3 is sealed whereas the Pentax gear isn't).</p>

<p>In any case, the common consensus is that the camera, and possibly myself, will be completely submerged, so I'm now looking at other options.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input,<br />- Patrick</p>

I took my P&S olympus on a canoe trip over a few weeks, and my main regret on the trip was not bringing my better camera. Not that I took bad pics, but that they could have been so much better. I would invest in a Pelican case, and tie it to the raft with a couple of slings and carabiners.

Of course this means that the white water sections don't get coverage, but you will be too busy during those times anyway. You could also bring a small waterproof camera if that's a big deal.

If your rafting trip is a multi-day experience, you will find that there are many times where it is safe to use your big camera. Many multiday whitewater trips have miles of class I water where a camera will go well. Also, at camp the camera will come out just in time for the dramatic light of dawn and twilight. I would even consider a small tripod and off camera flash.

Bring it, if the guide allows the extra weight.

Dave

<i>Mr Geenspun took his EOS 3 into some white water a few years ago.</i>

<p>More than likely Mr. Greenspun, like everyone else, used a pelican case. I would happily take my 1D2, 70-200/2.8, etc, down class III or worse rivers in such a case -- I've done it before with other cameras without a problem, and like Mr. Holland, I encourage you to do the same. Talk to the guides: you aren't the first one.

<p>For on-raft/on-kayak stuff, you'll need to buy a cheap waterproof P&S. Wrapping a large camera with a waterproof case will pose a danger, to yourself, other people and/or the camera, unless the camera is mounted to the boat or something. I use a Pentax Optio, on a break-away neck-strap which can be dropped onto the skirt at a moments notice, and have observed people with wrapped video cameras duct-taped to the bow of their kayaks. (It's interesting, if a bit erratic, footage.)

Hi Patrick,

Frankly, I don't recall that I've ever taken a camera on a raft trip. I simply wasn't doing much photography back in the days when I rafted.

But I have taken a few white water raft trips, some that were 4 to 7 days in length and a few that got into pretty rough water (ever see a fully loaded, ten-man raft stood vertically by a rapid?). Plus, while she was in college my step-daughter worked summers as a raft guide on a couple rivers in Colorado.

Unless you are on a very sedate river, you will get soaked, and so will any camera equipment you bring. I can pretty well assure you of that.

There are rafting "experiences" that are less dramatic, lazier and with a guide who does all the paddling. Not much "white water" in those, and IMHO simply not as much fun. Clarify with the guides exactly what you can expect.

All the trips I went on we all sat astride the side of the raft with one foot in the water and paddled like mad men and crazy women under the command of the guide who attempted to keep us out of the worst trouble... or steer us directly into it when we all felt adventurous. More than once we lost individuals overboard temporarily or even upended the rafts and dumped everyone and everything into the river. (When you go in - not if - always be sure to keep your feet downstream to avoid hitting your head on rocks!) On multi-day white water trips like this, there is often a large, stable "support raft" with a guide or two only, that has all the cooking and sleeping gear in it. It may be possible to stow some photo gear on that raft, but for use when ashore only.

Your choices have been pretty well outlined by others:

1. Don't take a camera, but there will be lot's of great photo ops and you will probably regret it.

2. Get a small waterproof camera on a lanyard and keep it around your neck and tucked inside your life-preserver (which is a mandatory safety item). This may be a good idea even if you also take a larger, non-water-proof film or digital camera. You could use the waterproof one while paddling on rougher passages, then switch to the other camera when on shore or in the quieter stretches of the river.

3. Also take the EOS-3 and/or the 10D with the lenses & accessories of your choice, but definitely get those EWA Marine flexible bags if attempting to shoot with them while on the water, and a waterproof Pelican (or similar) storage case that will float in the event it all "exits" the raft. You might leave the PB-E2 at home to save some size & weight. Think minimally here.

Do talk to the guides before you go out and buy anything. As already stated, there will likely be some limitations on what and how much you can bring, and this will influence your decisions.

Enjoy! WW rafting is a blast!

If you are talking white water rafing there are several questions:

Are you going through Grade 4 and above? What raft are you going in? Large Inflatable,

Small Inflatable, or canoe / Kayak.

Whoever else has said this, take a Pelican case I will second: Its Waterproof, and will take

whatever beating you can give it, but make sure you get either yellow or Orange. Check in

advance what Size/dimensions you are allowed to take in advance.

Eos 3 and 1V are idea, but drop the batterygrip, you dont need it, might want it, but dont

need it - weight. The Eos 3 is faster in continous drive than the 1V without batterygrip, if

that helps.

The weather sealing any Camera offers will never be suitable for a rafting trip on the

Zambezi without a Pelican case.

Cheers G