social events. The reason is that most of my lenses (Canon and Sigma) are quite

slow-focusing and some, strangeley enough, occasionally refuse to even focus at

all, unless I switch to manual, fiddle with the focusing ring and switch back

to AF! So, I decided to get rid of all the slow-focus glass and look for a real

fast lense. Ideally I would like something in the range of 28-135mm/~f3.5 or 4,

preferably with USM motor and "L" designation to make sure it is a quality

piece. Any suggestions based on your experience? My currently favorite body is

EOS 5D. Thanks in advance.

AF will rip with anything with ring-USM and internal or rear element. Provided, of course, you have enough light and/or contrast for it to snag. The EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM is, indeed, fast. However the slow aperture is a handicap in low light. In other words, it will rip in decent light but may have trouble in dim light. The ideal combination should be ring-USM, internal or rear element focus and a F2.8 or faster aperture. The nearest Canon zoom to that ideal is the EF 24-70 2.8L USM.

If you can live without the F2.8, get the EF 24-105 4L IS USM. Fast AF and tack sharp images. If it's too dim to focus, save up for the EF 35 1.4L USM or EF 50 1.2L USM.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The 24-105L is for sure a fast focusing lens, But I've read so many times from owners of both lens that the EF 24-70 2.8 is even faster on the same lighting condition.

IMO , the AF speed of the 24-105 is fast enough that I dont long for a faster one.

Peter is absolutely right that the combination of ring-USM and internal or rear-element focusing is the way to go for focus speed. Although there are probably small differences betwen the focus drive speed of such lenses, it is scarcely noticeable for lenses in the range up to medium telephoto. What does make a difference is the maximum aperture of the lens, especially in poor lighting. I just waved my 20D around indoors, first with the 24~105 set to 85mm and then with the 85/1.8, moving between reasonable and fairly dim indoor daylight. In dim light the 24~105 would sometimes be a bit hesitant about locking focus, whereas in brighter light it was very fast. The 85/1.8 locked focus instantly every time.