Capture NX with Nikon Coolscan "NEF" files?

Is anyone using Capture NX to edit .NEF format files from a Coolscan scanner?

I've googled this subject and it looks like you probably can't open or at

least can't usefully edit the Coolscan NEF files in Capture NX? The reason

for the question is that I'm using the trial version of Capture NX and have

been very pleased with how it works as an editor on Nikon camera raw (.NEF,

but different NEF) files. Thanks!

I'm also trying out the trial version of Capture NX. You can definitely open NEF files from the Coolscan V and perform some editing. The "camera controls" such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc., are fixed. From very limited testing, I see nothing that can't be done on a TIF file, whether that's done in Capture NX or in Photoshop.

Thanks. I have had pretty good luck with jpgs and tiffs using Capture NX and was wondering if anyone had experimented with scanner "raw" format files. I'll scan some negs this weekend and try it, but it sounds like it won't work any better than just editing tiffs?

• 2 weeks later...

Please allow me to add some clarity.

A "NEF" file is not necessarily a RAW file. All Nikon RAW files are, however, NEF files.

NEF=Nikon Electronic Format.

The architecture of said file format is a base image (comprised of either RAW, JPEG or TIF data) plus a single or multiple instruction sets.

Many Nikon Digital Cameras produce RAW data (mostly); Nikon Scanners do not. Nikon Scan NEF files are just TIFs with additional instructions (any of the post-scan applications such as levels and curves); a Nikon Scan NEF is designed so that in Nikon Scan, you could go back and make quick changes to your settings.

If you open a Nikon Scan NEF in Capture NX, it is treated as a TIF plus instructions (if you had a levels and curves adjustment it should populate in the Base Adjustments); you won't be able to adjust exposure or white balance because neither of these are post-scan functions.

I hope that makes it a little more clear.

Nikon Capture from at least version 3 onwards to NX allows JPEGs & TIF files to be saved as NEF files with the instruction sets appended. What has changed radically in Capture NX from prior versions are all of the additional tools and adjustments that Capture NX offers. As such the non-destructive nature of a NEF file really goes a long way with a JPEF or TIF file in Capture NX.

Best,

Michael

mrubin (at) nikon (dot) net