Help! Where did my images go?

Help might be an understatement. I returned from London (where I checked the

CF card in camera and reviewed images)put the CF card in the reader. Then, I

opened Bridge and Bridge crashed while opening the images. I tried again but

only a dialog box (autoplay with a searching flashlight)came up. I put the

card in my D200 and it blinked [FOR] stating the card needed to be formated.

I know images were on the card but now the card reads as blank. I'm assuming

there may be one corrupted file that is preventing the card from being read so

I need to rescue the images (if Possible!).

What should I do - it is a 1GB Sandisk Extreme III card with no prior problems. Windows XP pro. Tried sandisk imagerescue but CF card reads as having 0(zero)KB. Does this mean card is dead? Should I reformat in camera?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Paul

For sure, DON'T reformat it if you are still hoping to rescue images. This sounds very bad - as if something did cause a reformat or deletion of the images. I'm mostly a mac guy, but you should be able to put the card on the computer and then open the card and look for data on the card itself. If there is really no data showing on the card, I think you may have lost everything.

Just a secondary remark... it seems that's a real dangerous time for CF cards--when their

data is being uploaded to the computer. On several occasions now, that's the point of failure

for mine, too. If something goes wrong then, in my experience it tends to corrupt the data in

such a way that I can only then get my photos using Image Rescue.

to be safe, i dump images to a folder on my desktop, then without formatting the card, file them on my main drive, check to make sure they're all there, backup, THEN open 3rd party software to rename/ organize etc... then format the card...

imagerescue from lexar has worked for me on a card that was formatted in camera....

joey

Same as Joey, The first thing I do is COPY my CF card to another folder using my card reader. After all files have been copied to my "card reader folder" (that's what I named it) only then, will I open anything up in bridge.

I never format my card until all files have been backed up to both of my internal hard drives.