What makes a good B&W?

j.kivekas

Chad that is very graphic photo. That would be very difficult to print on an inkjet. The Hilite area should be limited in output levels. There is no detail in the building part, but it is ok, because the nature of the photo is so graphic. Yes, I agree with you, it's great photo.

Arthur -

Getting an ink jet to print B&W isn't quite THAT bad! :-) I turned to QuadToneRIP for my R800 and got very good results with just the Epson ink set and a little bit of tweaking of the QTR settings. I've been so happy with it that I've used up my Matte Black cart printing B&W's. That particular cart usually lasts me forever. (Though I should add I got a ton of 8x10's out of it.)

For anyone pondering this question: it has gotten to the point in Lens Work where you can't tell whether the source was film, film/digital hybrid, or pure digital without reading the interview.

Juha....In regard to my mid-contrast B&W I just happened to be experimenting. Normally, I like more contrast,but I shot this rather impromptu without any preparation of the backgound. Sometimes my shots are well planned and other times not at all. So no real technical answer to impress you with. I am convinced that the film guys complaining about digital just haven't wanted to admit the new stuff is better. I like your B&W very much as I do Craigs'. I've enjoyed this thread.