Inexpensive software for newbie

I would start using whatever software comes with your camera, if any is provided. I have a Canon and have found Digital Photo Professional (DPP) suits my needs quite well. I also recently bought Adobe Lightroom and am learning how to use it to do things I can't do in DPP.

Have a look too at Paint Shop Pro for editing. It will do 99% of anything a photographer would ask of Photoshop and is very reasonable in price. It is more than most photographers need (I agree with the comment about Elements being adequate for most) but you can grow into it with your developing knowledge.

How can no one mention the Gimp. Its freeware version of Photoshop essentially and a lot of it is basically identical. I've never used the gimp, but tell my gimp friends what Photoshop can do. Personally, that is what I would use if I weren't using Photoshop. Next would be Photoshop Elements possibly, but I haven't looked into it much. But free versus $70 is an easy decision to me.

It depends on your OS, but if you're on windows or linux give Picasa and Gimp a try. Both are free and stable. Picasa is pretty good for organization and most editing functions a beginner needs, Gimp can handle retouching and more in-depth editing. You might outgrow them later on, but they're a good place to start without spending a single penny. Gimp is also available on macs, but you'll need to install the X11 package first.

As a side note, I'm honestly surprised (but happy!) that Google has kept Picasa free. I've been in the computer industry a long time, and I've seen software with far fewer features, much worse user interfaces and far more bugs sitting on store shelves begging for sixty bucks or more.

Quality processing can be done easily with Photoshop Elements 5. $99

Picasa is free, has a great organiser, but the photo editing functions are VERY limited compared to Elements 5. It is super for sharing photos as you can put them up on your own webpage and the recipient can download or view.

Nikon NX is easy to use and versatile. Better if you have a Nikon and shot raw, but it accepts JPEG abd TIFF from anywhere.

Photo Mechanic has not been mentioned. DXO another. More I can`t remember.

Nice thing about elements is if you decide to go into full photoshop ever, it basically works the same way. For home editing, Elements is all you need.

RawConversion + Imageedition ...

- DPP (if you use canon) ... free SW

- Photoshop Elements 5 ... doesn't cost much

Viewing ...

- Irfanview (if you use windows) ... free again

Noise ...

- The demo-version of NeatImage ... free, (but of limited use)

Lens Distortion ...

- the ptlens plugin ... below 20$.

You might want to try 'Picture Window Pro' for $89. It does about everything you would want to do with a picture, plus it has no problems reading RAW files. Some of the comands are kind of quirky though.

Photoshop Elements ($99) version 4.0 is also pretty good and is the first step to Photoshop. I like it because it does some things easier than Photoshop, such as sending emails, color correction, red-eye removal. It is also less bulky ! There is a version 5.0 out there but I think it's overkill for somebody just starting out.

Whatever you decide on, let Picasa do the organization work for you. Its really something special.

PS Elements is quite powerful and the GIMP is everybit as powerful as the full blown Photoshop if you can get past the quirky interface (I can't)