Providence WaterFire

james_kirkikis

Hello,

I plan to go to Providence RI to photograph their WaterFire show. I am

looking to get shots of the river and skyline at dusk.

From their website, it looks like the show is all around the city. Does any

one have any suggestions on the best place to be for the best view? Also, is

it crowded? Do I need to set up a few hours ahead of time and be ready to

defend my position?

Thanks!

If you go to the "parking & directions" listing on the website there is a map of the evnt. It is only several blocks long on the river and it appears to be crowded. Providence is very lowlying and you may need to go down the bay to find a skyline shot. Some of the down town buildings have markers showing highwater marks of the last two tidal waves before a flood control dam wa built.

James -

I've never been in Providence for the WaterFire show, but I have had other experiences in that city that may be helpful.

The river essentially separates the downtown business district from the east side of the city. The east side is a mixture of residential and institutional - it is the location of both RISD and Brown University. There is very little public access parking on the east side, but if you are patient, and if you arrive early, you should be able to find a spot on the street within a few blocks of the river. And as I recall, on-street parking in the downtown area is metered. If I were you, I think I would plan to get there early, find a parking spot on an east side street, have dinner (Hemminway's is a great fish place), and then make photographs along the river.

If you are looking for skyline images, the best area may be on South Water Street, north of I195.

Would suggest walking around instead of setting up at one spot. There's very firm guard/hand rails set in the sidewalk everywhwere that you can rest camera on or use on of small C clamp mounts. Would not take tripod, way to crowded.

Agree with getting there early. I went several years ago. Got a spot several blocks on street. Walked around and found great Italian Resturant. It was booked soild but they servered us in the downstairs bar. Great food.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of good vantage points. Do walk around a bit. Take a tripod if you want the fire to look good. I straddled the padded section of my tripod on the railings and got some decent shots (see attached -- this area is my favorite).

Have fun,

Mary<div>00Lanf-37083284.jpg.e2b295e3732dc92f9ce7e608173aacc0.jpg</div>