gel holders for Dyna-Lite 2040 heads

mikeseb

After looking on the Dyna-Lite site and searching elsewhere, including here, I'm wondering what is the

best way to attach gels to a Dyna-lite 2040 head. Wondering what you other DL users out there are doing.

The several options seem to include a magnetic gel holder that attaches to the barndoor frame, perhaps

clunky and awkard in use; and a variety of gel holders by speedotron, delta, and others, that fit over the

business end of the head, or attach to the grid spot holder.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Are you talking about bare heads? or in a modifier? What kind of modifier, if any? With soft boxes, I clip full sheets of gel to the ribs inside the box. Binder clips from any office supply store work great for this. <p>For bare heads, I use a grid holder without a grid. works great with with some gaffer tape. Modeling lights are a no no with gels on a bare head. They tend to smoke and melt... and stink. Make sure the fan still circulates the air over the flash tube well.<p>If you look at the side of a Dynalite head, there's a slot for a big spidery Lowel filter holder, or there is one on mine. Good if you're going to use big sheets of polarizing filters... t

peter porembo at dyna-lite should be able to answer that.

early on Dyna-light had a " gentlman's agreement" with Lowell or

" lowell light" as long as Dyna kept out of the same business.

the fronts mouting may still be interchangabe.

I remember riveting metal rings on the older ( greenish) heads. Fortunately the new heads ]have the attaching ring spun in the "can"

i've used the lowell omni/tota accessories on the 2040 heads. the filter frame, barndoors, flex shaft, flags, scrims etc. you can probably use the flex shaft to hold a mounted gel for example, or the filter frame can be clamped to the stand beneath the head, or if I remember right, it slides into the umbrella shaft holder on the 2040 head. I've used them in this manner, but it's been a really long time, so don't quote me...