Time to go Digital ?

steven_benn

After spending many years with an old ME Super and upgrading a year or so ago

to an MZ-S I'm wondering if it's time to go 'properly' digital ?

The decsision is really whether to ebay the MZ-S to raise funds and pick up a

new K10d ( approx ?600 ) or keep the MZ-S and go with the K100d (approx ?200)-

I don't really develop many larger/blown up format pictures so the pixel

capacity is not such an over-riding issue. I've read the pro/Mag reviews but

would welcome some end-user thoughts and feedback.

Many thanks,

Steve

This is such a subjective question. If you look at other users work you'll see that The (DSLR) pre K series cameras with the lower pixel count produce excellent results with some experienced hands. So will the K100d. You should be able to get a reasonable price on Ebay for the MZ-s on Ebay (there's a body on right now you could watch to see what it gets) if that's the way you want to go.

The K10D from all I've read can compete with most of the best bodies on the market for a lot less money. It offers much more flexibility/features and has the added benefit of being ready for the new SDM lens lineup soon to be released. Both cameras share many features. (I've got a K110d (no SR) and a K10D). The K100 is small and lightweight, easier to use out of the box and many auto picture settings preset (action,landscape etc. like a PS camera would have) on the camera. The K10D is heavier, higher resolution and more of a 'real' SLR with no preset auto settings.

Both has a version of the Hyper program system but the K10D is more true to the original concept and works much better. From the cameras you have listed above you are in for a treat with Hyper program. No other manufacturer uses the concept. It is one of the best innovations Pentax added to their bodies. Hardly gets a mention from the company but makes shooting adjustments a breeze.

I also find manual metering with pre "A" series lenses a little easier on the K10D (via green button) although both have the ability to use 40 year old M42 screw mount lenses without too much fuss. I also like the MTF setting on the K10D. This setting allows the camera to find the preprogrammed best setting for a given DA or FA series lens. So if the lighting allows it, the camera will set the aperture where the lens is at it's sharpest, then set the appropriate shutter speed. That can be easily over-ridden with the thumb wheels if you want to be creative with the shot.

There's much more to both cameras and you can find lots of "data" on the feature differences from many sources. I like both for different reasons. The size/weight of the K100D for travel and general picture taking is a plus. The shooting flexibility of the K10D is superb. Picture quality on either is excellent. If it had to be one over the other it would have to be the K10D.

If you shoot 30+ rolls of film a year get a K10d

If less then get a k100d so you can get an idea of digital and not spend too much.

6 or 10 megapixels only matters a little bit. $200 is significant.

K10d is a pro camera that you have to know how to drive to get the value out of it. The k100d will help you a whole heap more to get great images and still allow you to learn about digital and to take control when you want to. Then when you're ready you can decide if you need to upgrade.

This doesn't have to be an either/or question. You can do both. I just bought the K10D and think it's a great camera. This is an upgrade from my istD, which is also a good one. However for some things I use my ZX-5N film camera. For example, I much prefer black and white photography on film and use various brands and speeds to get different looks. I think Fuji Velvia is untouchable for nature photography. I've also had an instance or two when my istD was in the shop and I was going off for some photo shoots and got great shots on film and the best part is, all my lenses work on all the bodies. Chances are you will not get much on ebay for your film camera, so I recommend you keep it and use it once in awhile. I think saving for awhile to get the K10D is worth it. It's unbelievable.

I shoot both all the time. I have a DL for color stuff and I use any number of film bodies to shoot black and white, then I hide in the darkroom. As a matter of fact I just burned a roll of HP5 in a Rapid Omega today. I'm the opposite of you. I got back into photography shooting digital then got sucked into film.

As a life long film shooter (mostly nature photography) I have to say Digital has opened up a huge new area of photography for me, namely bird photography. I shoot mostly with a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO lens and a Pentax 1.4X-S. Occasionally I use the monster 500mm f4.5 Takumar + 1.4X-L, but the close focusing issue on the later can be an issue in the woods that I work. The 1.5X crop factor is a big benifit of digitial (and yes I know I can crop slides too), but the biggest factor is being able to throw away 95% of my shots and not sweating the lost images. When I shoot film I am much more careful to compose and not waste too much film, so my ratio to good vs bad in film is much higher. The stabolization function is also a big help too. Thanks to the K10D I getup early each morning, spend an hour in the golden light and with a little luck a few keepers. Previously my mornings were chasing mostly macro subjects. Birds (short of large birds like herons or staking out feeders) were beyond the range of my equipment.

There are some things I don't like about the K10D. I dislike the fact that my older lenses over expose. I try to quickly take test shots, check the exposure, and reexpose. In some cases one shot is all you get, so that is a pain.

I also miss my old macro flash setups. The current line of flash guns is too limiting for me.

As to landscapes I still use film, Velvia, and either my 35mm or 6X7 setups. And take my time then.

I have also used the K10D some in my reserach lab. Looks like I'm going to save the department a mint on an expensive digitial setup with the K10D.

Anyway digital really has opened up new vistas for me.

For me, as others here, film and digital each have their own best use situations. For instance, when you want a lot of print copies, you still can't beat print film for quality/convenience/cost. When taking lots of shots, but keeping or printing few, digital is better. Film has advantages for wide-angle and normal perspective use, digital has advantages for telephoto and closeup use.

Keep that fine MZ-S, the smallest AF pro-featured, metal-body SLR ever made, and also the ME Super, as a good knock-about backup model, maybe the smallest metal-body SLR ever.

Get the K100D. Very fine images, great price, great features. Get a super-compact 43mm f/1.9 Limited lens for use on all your compact cameras!

I have a K100D, because I wanted SR at ISO 3200. I'm very happy about the in camera JPG processing lightyears above my *istD's. OTOH I don't like the user interface which is limiting. I'm really missing switch access to the AF settings and a 2nd control wheel would be nice to have too.

Thank you all for such an interesting forum, I have learnt more from browsing your feed back in the past few days than I can say, and it is helping me make some objective choices having just had my first digital stolen in Liberia and now wishing to upgrade... thankyou!

<p>Yeah, I think the <b>biggest issue</b> with <b>expert usage</b> of the K100D, compared to the K10D, is the <b>lack</b> of the <b>2nd control wheel</b>. If you are an expert and want to make quick adjustments, you want a K10D. If you're a noob (like me), the K100D definitely a model that satisfies just fine.</p>

<p>Although, just FYI -- even though I'm a noob -- I'm finding I'm using the P, Tv and Av modes and <b>none</b> of the "scenery" modes. I just think those modes are too much "Point'n Shoot" for myself, and I'd rather experiment, let alone I'd rather it be my settings that screw up, and not what assumptions the camera made. So in that regard, the K100D is <b>no different</b> than the K10D -- you can have that "power" in the K100D. Of course, again, it's still much, much easier to change details with the 2nd wheel on the K10D, than what I typically have to do with the K100D.</p>

<p>BTW, I'm surprised you're only seeing a $200 difference. I'm seeing a $300 the last time I looked. Are you going to reuse lenses? Are you really looking to save money?</p>

<p>If so, right now, I'm over-advocating (probably like a broken record) those that don't have lenses, or want to have just two (2) zoom lenses that cover a good range -- go for the DA 18-55mm "kit" plus DA 50-200mm combo. That combo's "cost" is why I went dSLR and not with a $400+ "bridge" Point'n Shoot (but I'm a noob). Buying the DA 50-200mm with the K100D has a $150 rebate through end-of-July -- that's $50 more than the K100D plus DA 50-200mm on their own ($50/each), and brings the cost of the K100D 2-lens system total down to around $500, around $800 for the K10D 2-lens option. </p>

<p>Just FYI, before you spend anything and are concerned about cost. Frankly, I can't wait for the DA 17-70mm and DA 55-300mm lenses to come out -- but it looks like I'll have to as they probably won't hit until sometime mid/late next year. Of course, if you're an expert, you might want the weather-resistant DA* lenses to go with the weather-resistant K10D -- which is another, massive and major selling point of the K10D. Not just against the K100D, but -- well -- just about any dSLR under $1,000! ;)</p>

• 3 months later...

All,

Many thanks for the many thoughtful and helpful responses.

For those still interested the winning solution was:

K10d ( as kit with a DA 18-55m)and I've kept both the MZ_S and ME Super!

Am just about starting to get the hang of the k10d so hopefully I'll start posting up some shots shortly - please be gentle with your comments!