Wedding tomorrow...no LCD screen Help

elaine marie

I don't like the idea to treat it as a film camera without the LCD. It's not a film camera and you have no way to confirm you are actually recording anything other than with the LCD. I wouldn't trust it. If one thing went wrong electronically, how do you know the rest of the camera works?

Lou

i think nancy's response is right on. you asked a pretty basic question! you seem to ask "newby" type of questions so it is not so far off to receive those kinds of responses! you set yourself up for that.

back up back up back up! that apples to film, flash, batteries, cameras, memory cards etc etc etc! you said you have a back up so problem solved! now you need to buy another backup camera.

i once shot a wedding using film and another photog was hired to shoot digital. fair enough. it was the deal. well he showed up and guess what? his digital camera would not turn on! no matter what he tried it did not work! well amazingly he had a back up......BUT it was a film camera....and guess what? he had NO film! har har har! being the B&G were my friends, and i knew the photog, i gave him some of my EXTRA film. now he has still not lived down that day!!!! later in the day his camera magically began to work again, only to fail at latter dates for no apparent reason. buy another camera!

eddie

Eddie...

If you can't give helpful advice, you might as well not post. Elaine was just asking if there is some button combination that might have switched off the LCD. 'Cos it is pretty weird that the camera is shooting and recording but the LCD isn't functioning. I'm quite sure she knows that the LCD might be spoilt but there's no harm asking since this is a big photography community and someone might have had the same experience and has a solution other than sending it in for repair.

I'd try to reset the whole camera to default. Reset to default, take out batteries and put 'em in again. If it is still not functioning then most probably you'll have to send it back to Canon.

Mark,<P> No camera stores left in Prescott except a Ritz camera at the new mall. But they are very small and carry only a limited number of cameras in store, everything has to be ordered.Prescott has grown like crazy in the last 10 years, you wouldn't recognize it coming into town from Prescott Valley. <P> Problem solved though for today as a fellow photographer has offered her 30D to me. So now I will have 3 cameras to work with.Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments!<P>

Eddie and Nancy<P>

So, from your posts if you are a newby or ask a basic question looking for help on here you are setting yourself up for some much needed sarcasm. Thanks anyway and you both have a great day!!!!!!

I may be too late, but I would also try not to use the defective camera if possible. You lined up a working 30D, so I'd use it and your working 20D and avoid using the defective one. This is just a precautionary step, in case whatever is "going wrong" with it finally goes completely wrong...

Nadine<P>I agree with you. I am going to take it as a back up to the back up but I won't use it unless I have to.I have 2 daughters going with me as assistants today one carries and watches my gear and the other has a passion for photography so I may let her use that one and keep the other two on myself. Thanks,<P>

Elaine

you are wqelcome to post what ever you like. i just find a "wedding tomorrow...no LCD screen help" a bit too much. i meam obviously it is broke....there is usually not a magic button to fix it. check with your manual. i guess if the post read something like "broken screen any ideas" you would get different responses. you have a back up as you said so it is not like you are not covered. you were not in a jam, and there was nothing the photo.net community could do for you....other than what you already knew, you need a repair and or buy another camera.

as for helpful advise Iskandar Azaman was asking for......buy a new camera if wedding photography is your biz. give the broken one to your daughter. use your back up to shoot the wedding. "k" iskandar?

and thanks! you have a graet day yourself!!!

eddie

Appraently you knew the answer before posting the question. However, I do find a LOT of "wedding professionals" who pick up a digital camera and just blaze away in "P" mode without checking the manual or learning anything.. and charge money for their services. I think you will agree this is a chancey way to approach a business!

Sorry if your feelings are hurt. Newbies asking questions is never an issue. Newbies without answers to basic questions they can look up and who are charging money for services do the industry a disservice. This goes for any industry, not just photography.

If you were going to fly somewhere, would you want someone who "likes airplanes" to service the aircraft before take off, or would you prefer a trained mechanic? Wedding photography is not life or death, and should not be viewed as such. However, anyone charging money should know their equipment and light capture inside and out.

Suggesting there might be a button you missed screams out that the manual has not been read.

This is not to say you are a newbie or you have not read your manual.. apparently you have a lot of experience and have read the manual, but your initial comment did not indicate this.

I am glad you found a back up. That is good. I keep a Nikon FM as a back up when I shoot digital... the rest of the time I shoot MF 645 for most things these days with 35mm as back up.

Good Luck with your shoot.