Wedding tomorrow...no LCD screen Help

elaine marie

I just went to turn on my Canon 20D and no LCD screen. It will take a pic fine

but nothing apperars on the screen. No menu either. The battery is charged..Is

there maybe a button that got pushed or did my screen just die. Of course I have

a back up camera but I always shoot with two cameras differant lenses. Any help

is apprieciated.

Thank you

Elaine

"..Is there maybe a button that got pushed or did my screen just die..

You are shooting weddings and taking money from people and you don't know if there is a button or setting that turns off the LCD screen? Do you have a camera manual? Did you read it?

Yes, I get an image on the card but still no LCD. I also tried the battery and changed lenses but nothing. No camera store with in 90 miles of me. I guess its off to the repair shop. Thanks for everyones time was hoping there was a trick I wasn't doing.

Elaine

Elaine I just checked out your pics, OMG! Girl I am impressed you do wonderful work with a camera. I can't help with your problem, I don't shoot digital unless its just for me with my Sony. I am sure you will do fine I think Steve hit it, just pretend its a film camera and use the veiwfinder.Again very nice work, my husband was even impressed!

Same thing happened to my 20D, except that in addition to the LCD being out, it wouldn't autofocus and therefore couldn't take a picture except one at a time, each time turning the camera off and on. My 5D's LCD went out as well--it could take pictures but no LCD. None of the usual cleaning contacts, battery tricks or anything else helped. I knew it wasn't a button or anything because in each case, it happened to me in the middle of shooting. With the 5D, I did just continue to shoot without chimping. In the case of the 20D, I sent it to Canon to repair and they replaced the "pcp assembly". Don't know about the 5D because it disappeared on the way home to me from repair. Long story but I got a replacement.

Looks like you're going to have to shoot with one camera and line up a film back-up (don't forget the film) for tomorrow unless you can rent another digital. It is unnerving when it happens but take a deep breath and carry on. This is when all your efforts at being the prepared professional come together.

Hi Elaine! Sorry, that's a bummer! I'd do a lot of testing to be sure all else is working and then do as Steve and Gwen suggested. Or, if I were nervous about further malfunctioning, use a film cam as backup/second cam.

I'm confident you'll pull through fine! Good luck!:)

I'm not sure if the 20D has this feature -- my Rebel XTI does, so it's worth a shot. The Rebel XTI has a sensor on the back that shuts off the LCD when you bring the camera to your face. Is there perhaps a stray piece of debris that is near or on the sensor that is causing it to go dark?

Just a thought. Good luck tomorrow!

Elaine, isn't the camera shop on the main road (Gurly st.??) there in Prescott still open? I live in Prescott 10 years ago and miss it immensely. Good luck with the camera, have you tried wiggling all the buttons and cleaning the contacts?

m