another "what if". Supposing you were limited to just one camera, one lens (can

be zoom), and one film for the type of photography you typically do, what would

be your choices? A situation where I found myself was in Vietnam in the 60s. I

had never owned a 35 mm camera. The prevailing wisdom of my peers was the

Konica auto S2. This was my only camera for nearly a year, my film choice was

plus-x (color was too expensive, I found tri-x to be too contrasty), and of

course it was a fixed f1.8, 45 mm lens. I found it quite suitable for the

photos I took in and about Saigon. I am not sure it would be my choice today,

some 40 years on. I would like to hear your choices.

Tricky. If it was just one camera, it would probably be my Contax RX with a Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar, but if you allow a zoom, it would be a Yashica 28-85 ML lens. Just one film? Something at ISO 400, HP5 if B&W, Fuji if colour.

I'm assuming you mean limiting myself to one camera/lens from those I already have, not a choice from any camera/lens I could think of.

Alex

Thought about this and have decided. Kodak Retina Reflex, 35mm f4 Schneider lens, Kodak Gold 100 film.

My reason: Retina cameras are a joy to use and are a wonder of engineering, the 35mm lens is sharp and colourful but not at the expence of showing the smooth tones of German glass. Gold 100 is just a personal thing - sharp with a clean 'peppery' grain.

Actually, when I get home later I will burn a few shots with the above said combo!

Ian

If it has to be a pre-1970 camera, then probably my Canon FT with the 50 that's mounted on it right now. If a later camera were allowed, then it would be my Canon F1N(latest) with the 35 f/2. It's one that I can use with or without batteries, and it's sturdy enough to hammer boards together to build a house. Film choice would be Kodak 400VC.

Any number of camera/lens combinations would have given you similar results. The 45/1.8 Hexanon on the Konica Auto S2 is quite a good lens. My start in photography with a good camera did not come until 1971 but I started collecting in about 1988 so I have many cameras and lenses from the 1970 and earlier time period. Some combinations: Minolta STR-101 w/55/1.7 MC Rokkor, Canon FX w/50/1.8 Canon FL, Canon EX EE w/50/1.8 Canon lens, Konica Autoreflex T w/57/1.4 Hexanon, Honeywell (Asahi) Spotmatic w/55/1.8 Super Takumar, Olympus FTL w/50/1.8 Zuiko, Nikkormat FTN w/50/1.4 Nikkor S. All of these combination are capable of very good results. The only one I don't yet have is the Olympus FTL.

Answering my own question, my Konica auto S2 was fine in its day and continues to be fine. However, I think silicon sensors are a significant improvement over CdS. Also, even though I am risk averse amateur photographer that babies equipment, I tend to avoid using equipment like, say a Leica M6, except in familiar and secure circumstances. I know, I'm a wimp, but being 70+ with severe rheumatoid arthritis and an artificial knee, I can't outrun a three-year-old and falling down is always a possibility (I know). Therefore my current choice would be a camera that is pleasant to use, technically proficient, and whose loss I could withstand, emotionally and financially. I select a Minolta XD11, a Rokkor 28-70 zoom with polaroid filter, and Kodacolor 200 film. This meets most of my photographic needs. I don't know whether the Nikon equivalent lens mounted on a FE2 whould produce sharper negatives.

I am a collector with 200 cameras, 3 Leicas, 5 nikons, but one that has never failed to impress me, when I get to the darkroom is a Zeiss Ikon Netter. 4.5 f=105 Novar lens. I really love the prints that the 6x9 negatives give. film is Ilford HP5 plus 400 asa. My 2 cents.

Jared S

Hmmm, one camera, one lens and one film type. It would have to be my Rolleiflex E with its f2.8 Xenotar lens and lots of Fujichrome Provia 400F. I just love looking at those big transparancies when they come back from the lab.:)

If I could replace it if it broke, it would be the Olympus Stylus 35-70 Zoom I've used as the primary snapshot camera for years. It works quite well, I've bought a few and fixed them up and distributed them. But if it was "the last camera" and I could not swap it out in case of failure, I wouldn't take it.

If I had to keep it working, it would be my trusty old Leica IIIa, which I've pretty much rebuilt from top to bottom. Hard to decide between 50/3.5 Elmar or 50/2.0 Summar.

Film: Portra 400NC. Easy choice.