temperature of the flash depending on the power output level is send to the

camera to fine tune the WB setting?

How does the flash communicate with the camera - in the preflashes? Is this

different if I use command mode from the camera or command mode from the SU-800

commander module?

I am just looking at some test shots of color test panels and have to readjust

WB more than I would expect if the "communication" would work fine. On the D200

I use WB set to "flash" .

When I use calibrated halogen lamps (yes for macro shots) and set the WB to that

color temp I get more consistent results.

Yes there is no other light source involved :-P

Cheers

Walter

"I right to assume the change in color temperature of the flash depending on the power output level" - No.

Flash standards strive to keep the same color temperature at all power settings. I believe the allowed variation is 200 Kelvin, or 300 - dependinmg on sources of information. This variation is just inability to do any better, and not a purpose of design.

Color of the flash is constant, unless yo add color filters.

The D200 manual tells that you should use the Auto WB setting in combination with the SB600/800 and probably SB400. Dutch manual p35 chapter about whitebalans. There is no no color communication in the off-camera mode. D200 manual p178 chapter about flashes.

Nikon Speedlights emit a color temperature of around 6000k. As Frank already said, there is and can be a slight variation from unit to unit, based on age and level of use of the flash.

With digital cameras, any change in WB is done in camera according to the settings you choose. The flash color temperature does not change, it's made to be consistent always.

When photographers shot mostly film they used correction color filters on top of the flash to balance the light for tungsten or flourescent.

For further info check out Magic Lantern Guides Nikon AF Speedlight Flash System book, by Simon Stafford. Published in 2007.

Ellis that is a potential problem if the calculation is made prior to shutter release. I try some test shots to see if there is a problem in "real shots". I shoot mostly in RAW so its nothing that could not be corrected.

Michelle - yes I measured 6150 at ca. 50% power output. Actually I did not measure again with my second new flash. I should perhaps, both units are a bit different the first unit is about 2 years older. I know about the color correction filters on the flash and on the lens (thats why I mentioned no other light source) - I was just wondering about what the flash could tell the camera.

Hans I was afraid that the communication goes via the socket. I mainly used the SB800 with a cable. I recently got the SU800 and a second flash and just got the time to look for the details. Until now I used everything just out of the box and must say (with a little struggling to go to remote mode) everything worked very well - I am very impressed. The difference in WB is minor and only visible on the test targets so perhaps I should not do tests :-P .

Thanks for the info so far. Still a bit uncertain as to what exactly is transmitted from the flash to the body :-)