Camera: EOS 30D

Problem: LCD display not working when pointing the camera at a subject

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched around without

finding a solution to this problem.

The camera seems to work fine in all respects, except that I have not been able

to see what I am pointing at on the LCD display of my EOS 30D. The normal menu

display is fine, and I am able to take pictures by looking through the

viewfinder and review them from the LCD display, the only problem regarding the

LCD is that it is blank when I am pointing the camera at a subject.

Another issue that I think is unrelated, is that the zoom buttons don't seem to

work, and I have to manually zoom the lens. I don't know if this is normal. The

auto-focus seems to work without problems when I half-press the shot button.

Anyway, I hope you can help with these problems. Many thanks in advance.

SLRs, other than one or two, do not allow for a live view of the subject the way a point and shoot digital camera does. And yes, you have to zoom the lens manually. I suggest that you read the owner's manual that came with your camera. The 30D is NOT a $1200 point and shoot. It's a single lens reflex camera that demands user involvement. You need to do some reading. The Learning tab at the top-right corner of the page would be a start. I'm sure others can offer more ideas.

-- "except that I have not been able to see what I am pointing at on the LCD display of my EOS 30D"

the 30D is a dSLR ... it hasn't got live preview.

-- "is that the zoom buttons don't seem to work, and I have to manually zoom the lens."

The (+) and (-) buttons aren't meant to zoom the lens. The zoom in a picture once it's taken. The lenses belonging to the EOS system do have AF motors, but not zoom motors. You have to do that manually.

Frankly, have you eventually bought the 'wrong' type of camera for you? No offence meant ... but you sound like if you would be happier with an upper clas P&S camera.

Ah, thats because its a DSLR not a P&S, its does not have live view as you look at the subject directly via the VF & prism, the zoom buttons are for reviewing purposes, some time spent in the depths of the manual sounds like an exciting new adventure

have fun

"This has got to be a hoax...no one owning this grade of camera can be so inept."

Come on now, let's be fair. Whether this is a hoax or not is beside the point. If Barry just joined photo.net today, presumably to get the answers to his questions, what are the chances he will continue as a member if the first question he asks gets insults thrown at him? Steve and Rainer's answers were the most appropriate as they assumed Barry's questions were the result of a genuine misunderstanding of how his camera works.

When I received an all-manual SLR in 1972 as a gift, after 15 years of using only P&S Instamatic cameras, I didn't know an f-stop from a hole in the ground. I started out with a thorough read of the manual (which is what Barry no doubt should have done too), but being an electronics technician by profession, that is the only thing that came naturally to me. We all had to start learning the more "advanced" features of SLR cameras at some point, regardless of whether our first "real" camera was a Pentax Spotmatic or a modern DSLR.

Just my nickle's worth.

Agreed. It's harmless enough to assume the guy was sold a camera he knows nothing about and doesn't need by some brain-dead clerk at Best Buys.

He's not trying to sell anyone anything or talk you into going to a certain website, so I didn't get the impression he's a troll. Just somebody with the bucks to buy something he knows nothing about. I don't see that in itself as an evil act. But, if he's legite and reading this thread, he should probably take the 30D back from where he got it and get himself a P&S he can handle. Good luck.