Which kind of 180 mm for R

dimi3

Hi, everybody. I`m looking for not very expansive telephoto lens for my

camera - R8. As far as I uderstand I can use only 3-cam versions. So, I choose

between Elmarit 180/2.8 and Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4 Which one of them is better?

Why? Thanks.

The 3.4 apo-Telyt is optimized for infinity focus, it was developed for US Navy work. I've owned both and they both do a fine job. Depends on how you define "better", smaller & more compact, better bokeh, etc. etc.

I have an R8, you can use 3-cam, 3rd cam & ROM lenses. The ROM lenses may be out of your price range & are mostly nice for flash use. I have a 3.4 & a 2.3 Anguenex (ok spelling!!), one to carry when there is pleanty of light & one for low light stage etc.. Both these lenses are really good & not very expensive. I've seen pics from the 180 2.8 (non-apsh) and they were good also. The 3.4 gets to be a little slow inside & is slowwer to focus but great for the outdoors, close focus appears to be at least as good as the 2.8 & distance shots are fantastic. If you set on 180mm that fine, but I picked up a late 135mm 2.8 3-cam from KEH at a really cheap price & was surprised at how good it is, at 20ft +/- I could not tell it from the 3.4 apo-Telyt. Once you get to 5.6 & far off shots w/ the Apo-Telyt it seems to be a little sharper, but the 135 is no slouch & only a couple hundred if it fits your needs. Just a thought. Good luck, Jim.

consider the 70-180 f/2.8 I have had one for years and it is an extraordinary lens. You get a superb 180 as well as every potential focal length in between. Puts considers thisone of Leica's greatest lenses and states that the different focla lengths are equivalent to the best primes.... A bit heavy but you will get used to that.

• 2 months later...