Whats better, Polypropylene or Acid Free for Storing?

I want to start storing my slides in boxes that are archival safe.

I've mostly seen those longer acid free cardboard boxes that are sold for

slides, but I also saw some polypropylene plastic ones for sale as well.

I don't think the ones that the lab puts them in when I get the film processed

and mounted are archival quality.

You need acid free containers, but polypropylene qualifies. I'd feel much better about it, actually, because there's no good way to tell if a paper product is actually acid free, and who knows when a batch of the wrong stuff might end up getting used? Just about any plastic is going to be acid-free inherently.

The polyprop containers will be much better at protecting the content from liquid spills, and depending on the container, possible better protection against dust.

Personally, I'd sleeve them, but then I have the automated Pakon sleever and it's a lot easier, cheaper, and faster for me to use that than it would be to buy and fill the Clear-View (probably misspelled brand name) slide sheets. Sleeving makes it very easy to review sets of slides (20 slides is about letter size and drops easily on the light table) and you can put the sheets in standard file folders.

Of course, then you might want acid-free slide folders. I hadn't thought about that! But I think there are inexpensive plastic file folders that would qualify.

Van