Old film stock - deep freezed ...

felix_ackermann

A friend, a retired professional who is selling his house, is giving me a

large amount of his gear.

There is also a huge deep freezer (large enough to keep fresh 3-4 bodies, I

suppose...) filled with films. I simply cannot store the whole stuff.

There are repro films I certainly can throw away because there is no chance I

could ever use them. There are also old color films like Vericolor II or

Ektacolor, where I suspect that I hardly could find a lab who still processes

them.

But I am strongly temptated by a huge stock of 13x18 cm Kodak Super XX Pan and

Plus X Pan.

So my question is the following: Is there a chance that these films are still

working well after something about 25 years of deep freezing?

Any hint would be higly appreciated.

Felix

The freezer really slows down chemical and physical deterioration of the films. What it can't do is stop the cosmic rays, so the base fog will be increased on the faster films.

The Super XX should be pretty good, it may not be that old, it was made until rather recently. Some speed loss, some base fog. There are people out there who desperately look for Super XX, so be sure to shop it around if you don't want it!

Similarly, Plus-X is long discontinued in 5x7 size, and 13x18 film holders fit 5x7 cameras just fine. Plus-X has it's devotees.

Also, if there are any dye separation materials in there (Matrix or Pan Matrix film), there are some folks who will want that, and there's nothing like them anymore.

Some of the old high speed films, like Super Panchro Press, were quite unstable, even frozen.

Certainly, any color film that isn't E-6 or C-41 process is nothing more than a souvenir. The only color films that would have much value would be Kodachrome 25, any of the Ektar films, and maybe Photomicrography Color.

Also, any Technical Pan in there is worth a pretty penny.

Please do not throw any of this film away.

Sell it on Ebay, this forum, or APUG.

As long as you describe it just the way you did, you will have people buy the film.

The buyers will have fun experimenting with old film, you will make a few bucks, and the film will stay out of the landfill.

Thank you very much for all your helpful answers!

OK, I wont throw away any of the stock ? I just couldn?t imagine that there could be demand for these materials.

I will test the b/w films hoping I can use them ? fortunately I have lots of 13x18 cm film holders, so I could look forward to an important free stock of film? I just regret I built a new case for my Sinar Norma, on which I employed many hours of planning and constructing, for the 4x5 inch back alone?

As soon as possible (I still have a month at disposition to clear the freezer) I will dress a list of the color and repro-materials and post it here. It would be nice if I could hand over a few bucks to the owner, but I suspect the shipping costs from Switzerland (or Germany) to the USA would surpass the value?

Many thanks again for the advice.

Vericolor II is apparently a C-41 process film -- thus usable today

Ektacolor is apparently a color paper still being produced.

4 minutes' worth of googling found this info.

I'd definitely echo Frank R's suggestion and post here, on APUG or sell on eBay. Also, if any of the film is roll film in obsolete sizes (620, 127, 116, 616, 828) they're also valuable for the spool and backing paper.

Today I tried to get an overview of the stock...

I'm sure for my b/w work there is stuff that will fulfill my needs for years. There is Plus X Pan in all formats from 24x36 mm rolls up to 13x18 cm, Super XX Pan 13x18 and 18x24 cm, Tri X Pan 24x36 mm rolls, Royal X Pan 120 roll film and 13x18 cm.

These films should be fine for me - and generally for my needs I don't have to worry about grain in 4x5 inch and 13x18 cm.

The first tests I will make is for the Vericolor II (C41) - It could be very useful for me mainly for 6x9 shoots for scanning if I get reliable colors using filters for 3200 kelvin lamps. There is also Ektachrome 64 (E6) I will give a try.

I'm unsure about the huge stock of Ektachrome Type B (E3) 13x18 and 18x24 cm sheets, I would have to develop myself (I have a Jobo machine, but never developed color materials before) using the equally important stock of chemicals. The same considerations go for the Ektachrome X (E4).

I'm unsure if I ever could use the orthochromatic films like Kodak Commercial, Tri X ortho or Professional copy film,

or the following Agfa films: Scientia, O23 and CO23

There is also an important stock of Kodalith Ortho type 3 in 13x18, 18x24 and 24x30 cm, expired 1985, that wasn't deep freezed. But the owner tells me he used them till 4 years ago without problems.

There is also a huge stock of Typolith, a swiss product perhaps not known in the USA, in formats from 18x24 up to 50x60 cm.

If the repro materials could be of use to someone - feel free to contact me. We don't expect big business...

I love the vericolor material. Several pictures in my portfolio here are made with this film.

This is beautifull material...what a nice gift! I am always hunting for this film...

Have fun with it...and NEVER throw it away....