lightroom and cataloging

i heard that lightroom was supposed to have an archiving/cataloging feature.

meaning i would be able to have all the larger thumbnails saved on my hard disk

that would reference to my external or dvd. any idea if this has occured or was

it just a roomer. if not what is a good program to use to catalog thumbnails.

It was my primary reason for buying lightroom. The Raw processing is also another big bonus of the software.

Keep in mind that the cataloging now becomes a bigger task then just importing. You have to come up with a keyword database to be used to organize all of your work and be consistent when importing.

I am not sure how Lightroom tracks where the original images are though. The folders or images that are not on your current hard drive will have a sign showing that they are not immediately available but won't give you a message as to where they might be found. When you click on an image it will say not available and give you way to track it down using a browse feature. Its up to you to keep track of the placement of images not on your onboard Hard Drive.

Josh, LR does it. However, when you have to locate the removable media where the original is, and put it back to your HD, LR doesn't really help you. Applications like IMatch do a much better job in that regard, with complete support for off-line content. If anything you are looking for is handling your off-line pictures, also organizing them and making searches, I would try IMatch. This said, LR has a lot more to offer.