Shooting from a parade float

I have the opportunity next month to take pics at a parade, and the organizer

wants me to shoot the crowd from a parade float.

This will be a new experience for me, and it will be a paid opportunity as well

(I've yet to figure out what to charge for this event). I believe the parade

will last at least 2 hours or so.

With that in mind, what lens should I use for shooting the crowds on the street

sidelines. I will be using my Canon 30D, and I was thinking perhaps my 100-400

IS USM lens. I'm not sure if a tripod is going to work (depending on the

stability of the float of course). Mainly because it allows for closeups from a

distance.

I have also been toying with the idea of purchasing the 70-200/2.8 for a few

months (many positive comments from this site, plus I know someone who has one

and loves it as well) - would that be a better alternative?

I'm not sure how fast we'll be moving on the float - so any advice would be

great (especially if you've actually done this sort of shooting).

Thanks,

Sheryl

Sheryl, IMHO, the 100-400 might be too long for interesting shots...I'd get something like the Canon 24-70 f2.8L along with the 70-200f4 IS...you'll have a much better variety of shots when you can get some wideangle shots of the floats with crowd, and then some closeups as well.

The f4 zoom is extremely sharp, and assuming the parade is in daylight, should be plenty fast. Good luck!

Steve

I think you can totally forget your tripod as you probably will not have a lot of space on the float, and if it is daytime, there should be enough light anyway.

The best thing about being on the float is that you have a pov that is not available to everyone else. If your float is particularly photogenic, that's good. If you're stuck on the float, your options go down - ideally you'd want to be able to move around, get on and off.

A 100-400 is not such a good choice. I guess the organiser wants photos of float / public interaction. Most of that zoom range will only give you single people, or groups very far away. I'd suggest a *much* wider zoom - like a 24-70.

In your place, I'd take a 24-70(standardish zoom), 70-200 (telezoom) and a 50 or 35 prime if it was going to get dark.

Look at other people's photos of the sort of parade you're shooting so you have a good idea of what you're aiming for.

Take loads of memory cards.

Actually, my suggestions were based on a FF sensor. If you're spending money, you might also consider a 17-something zoom, if you don't already have one.

What I like about the 24-70 is that the focus is quick and I don't have to worry too much about water and foam when using it.

However, exactly which lens doesn't matter too much. What matters is having a wideish zoom of some sort.

Ci,

I don't have a full-frame sensor, as I have a 30D, so ther is the built-in crop. I do, however, have a 17-40L lens which I got in December.

here's what I'm thinking - either use the 17-40L with the 70-200/2.8 or perhaps maybe just using my Tamron 28-200 aspherical lens....? it's a bit more of a wide angle.

I think my 75-300 EF (12 years old) is too narrow a width, so that's out. my 18-55 kit lens I'm not too enamored with - and it's not really wide angle enough.

what do you think?

sheryl

I'd go with a monopod over a tripod in this situation and a 100-400 sounds like an ideal focal length range , but if you are bound and determined to spend some money get a 24-70mm f/2.8L.

As for what to charge: the paprade might only last two hours but you'll need to get there a couple of hours earlier and you'll probably need an hour or so to disentangle and back to base. You'll also have image processing and prep time to take into account.

Ellis,

thanks for your feedback - I guess I'm not sure how far away from the crowd I'll be.

If this was a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade float - those are built so high up and you're so far there would be no question of using the 100-400 lens. Having grown up in New Orleans I know how big the parade floats are!

as this is the annual Chicago Puerto Rican parade - I'm not sure it's quite the same scale. But - it could be far enough away that the 100-400 could work - it depends on how high up I am.

it's also my first paid real gig - so while I don't want to fleece anyone, I just wanted to know what the going rate is nowadays for outdoor shoots such as this....

and actually, it's only recently that I've decided to add lenses to my collection, as I'm a bit overdue. Seems like everyone likes the 24-70.

sheryl