Running Event ?

sremmaz

Hey gang. I am shooting a running event 5K this weekend. Any tips/recommendations

I have a Canon EOS 1D Mark II body, Canon 200MM 2.8 and canon 75-300 4.5 to take

with me. I also have a smaller 35-80 I can bring.

Any recommendations on where to shoot - start/finish, etc..

Also I am going to be using photoreflect to sell the prints, any suggestions on

pricing

As runner who has purchased pics from a race before, you will need to be somewhere other than the start if you want to capture pics of individual runners in hopes of selling them. Not many runners would purchase a pic of the starting line rush if they are not easily identifiable in the picture.

In a 5k race you will not have time to move around much, the fastest runners will be done in 15-18minutes and the really slow ones shouldn't be much longer than 35 minutes.

If it is an out and back course you will have two chances to get the runners, but depending on the light, one direction will probably work better than the other.

Hold on a sec, before you sell them, make sure there isn't already an official photographer (If its not you). If there is, he/she will most likely have exclusivity rights, and you an expect a letter from the photographer's lawyer if he/she finds out. As for pricing, my employer also uses photoreflect, and you can check his prices <a href="http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=037C00AA000000&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1">Here</a> for reference.