Can I process E-4 in E-6? Or cross process?

John Shriver says if you add a hardening step, you can do it:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0095EF

However, how easy is this to do for a good professional color lab? Can it be

cross-processed successfully with C-41?

Also, anybody know about C-22 processing? Can a C-41 lab do it?

I've got a bunch of old 120 which I shot for fun and now I realize it's all C-22

and E-4. Doh!

C22 is very easy, no worse than B&W, might be your best answer. I'm sure you can find sealed chems somewhere. E6 and C41 are from another planet, forget them for your E4/C22. E4 is amusing in C22, but C22 is bad news for E4 chemistry.

E-4 in E-6 is not recommended altough a somewhat different process with different developpers formulation for higher speed processing with higher temperature.No lab would want to process E-4 in E-6 fearing it would unfavorably shift their Chemistry balance (Already hard enough to maintain)and finding emulsion on rollers or bottom of the tanks. Cross processing is similar story many will refuse some do ( I did when I had a lab a few times but was wondering if it was not adversly affecting my Ph in developper , graph was showing things I never had seen before though minimal ).C-22 is same as E-4 an old process replaced By C-41 hence representing same possible problems, those films were not meant to be processed in high temperature.Also C-22 negatives are not printable in normal colors as color papers have changed so much, and the mask is another color , a real waste of time.

C22 negs can be scanned and digitally printed to look normal with just a bit of visual skill. Some older C22 negs have aged better than the early C41 stuff (eg Vericolor). Cross processing E4 in C22 will be no problem if you do it yourself, one shot, in stainless tank and reel. Alternatively, you might want to process it as B&W.

The costs for E-4 or C-22 processing would be far more than buying and processing new film!

Develop it in HC-110, and give up on color. Say 7 minutes in Dilution B.

The C-22 will fall apart in a C-41 line, the emulsion will melt off, if you fooled any lab into doing it, they would be within their rights to sue you.

Also, all those films had awful shelf life.

The reason to cross process E4 as C22 is a FAR more amazing/interesting look than cross processing E6 in C41.

While professional labs did typically and reasonably avoid the amateurs who (exclusively) wanted to do that, it didn't actually hurt anything in genuine pro labs, which by definition meant labs that used dip/dunk machines and large chem volumes.

A lot of newspapers years ago souped High Speed Ektachrome (ISO 160) as a negative in C-22 chemistry. It gave more lattitude for exposure error than processing it as a transparency, and it was easier to correct for the color temperature of the light.