Macro Close Up Filters- Successes?

jim_karthauser

I'm considering picking up some of these whilst saving up for the 100mm macro,

does anyone have any positive experience with this sort of thing? I was looking

at Hama inparticular as these look better than most.

I'de be interested to see any sample shots from the use of these 'filters'.

All suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

They are sometimes called "filters" because they screw into the filter threads, though they are of course lenses.

The 2 element closup lenses/filters can give very good results when used on the right lens. The "right lens" is normally a telephoto lens, such as the 70-300IS. On such a lens they can work very well. I wouldn't recommend them for use on a wideangle prime like a 24/2.8 though!

The Canon 250D and 500D are good examples.

You might find this article useful: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/closeup2.htm

I have a set for my old Minolta MD system. Mine are cheap single lens version. They do not work well at all.

I also picked up a Soligor-something extension tube awhile later ($20 at a used camera shop.) Interestingly, it was even worse than the screw-on lenses.

You might try adapting old manual focus macro lenses to your EOS camera. The EF mount is really good for this. I know M42 screwmount lenses will work. Dig around the web to see what other lens mount families are suitable.

For the M42, it's just a $16 mechanical adapter. There're no intervening optics to degrade image quality.

The 2-element ones work really well with long lenses. I don't know anything about Hama. I was under the impression that Canon and Nikon make the only 2-element ones, and they cost $50-80. If the Hamas are much cheaper then they're probably single-element, in which case I wouldn't bother.

My first macro lens was a Vivitar 100/3.5 macro. The exact same product is sometimes sold under the Cosina or Phoenix label. Went to 1:2 on its own, and down to 1:1 with an included "filter" closeup lens of the type you are asking about. Set me back less than $150, and you might find it is all the macro lens you ever need. They seem to have been discontinued in the past year, but I saw a used one for sale at KEH.COM the other day, they are still around if you look. WAAAAY more satisfactory than any closeup lens, and may be all the macro lens you need, depending on what your interests are.

The advantage of using a closup lens on a zoom is that you can vary the magnification without moving the camera. if you are working with a tripod (without a focusing rail), this isn't an insignificant advantage. If you're shooting stopped down (as you often are with macro to get a decent DOF) the difference between a "real" macro lens and a telephoto zoom with a closeup lens is pretty small. The zoom + closeup is capable of excellent quality.

Thanks for all of the responses guys.

What sort of magnification factor would we be looking at with, for example, a 500D? I'm a bit confused you see. i've seen notes around but nothing like a ratio e.g an EF 100mm macro gives a factor of 1:1, what does this mean when other magnification is referred to in x? Thanks all

Jim:

You can plug in various parameters on this page to find the magnification:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KwhT

I used a 500D on my 300/4. With just the 300/4, I can get 1:4. With the 500D, I can get 1:1. With or without the close-up filter, I can use teleconverters to also magnify the image. So I can actually go up to twice life size, 2:1, with the 300 + 500D + 2x extender.

I'm happy with the quality I'm getting.

1:1 is life size = 1x. 1:2 = 0.5x. 1:4 = .25x. 2:1 = 2x.

Hope this helps.

Eric

If you have a decent prime like the 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 etc you might be better off IQ wise to get a set of extension tubes.

An advantage here is they will be useful with a range of lenses regardless of the filter thread size and with your 100mm macro (when you get it) for more than life size magnification.

So they are a useful investment.