Visiting Seattle, May 11th

hadap

Hi,

I am visiting Seattle on May 11th and would like to spend the weekend and may be

couple of days extra around photographing. So far what my colleagues have

suggested, which is obvious, is

- Mt Rainier

- Mt St Helens

- Victoria and San Juan Island

I would also like to here from fellow photographers, considering this time of

the year etc.

Regards

Sunil

You can go to Pike Place market downtown. There is Seattle Center which has the Space Needle and the EMP. Capitol Hill, Wallingford, and the University District are nice for street photography. The Ballard Locks is always good for a few hours of shooting. If are renting a car you should go to the Robe Valley. It's on the Mountain Loop Highway past Granite Falls. You can check on www.tulips.com to see what is blooming around La Connor.

Sunil,

Due to major storm damage this past winter, access to Mount Rainier has been very limited. From the most recent information I have read it will be very limited all Summer.

If Mount Rainier is a must, I would recommend the Carbon River Entrance (the NW corner). Hike the road thru what is one the best sections of old growth forest in the park. You will get to see first hand the power of nature. Be very careful crossing any streams and pay close attention to the weather. A couple drowned this past winter crossing a section of Ipsut Creek after a heavy rain storm.

I also think it may be a little early for Mount St. Helens. Victoria and San Jaun Island are always worth the trip. Deception Pass is a great side trip on the way to catch the ferry to Friday Harbor (San Jaun Island).

Hurricane Ridge, the Hoh Rain Forest and any of the Pacific coast in the Olympic NP are worth the time to visit. I am not sure how much damage they had this past winter.

Bring a rain coat and have a wonderful trip!

Dave

<p>If you plan to go to Mt. Rainier, you can get more information from various on-line

source, and many with the latest news is at <a href="http://www.wsrphoto.com/

mtnews.html">http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtnews.html</a>. Right now, the Nisqually

entrance is schedule to open May 5th. All the rest are currently closed at the park entrance

and highway 123 is closed between the pass and Ohanopacosh Entrance. And you can always

see conditions at Paradise with the NPS <a href="http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCams/

parks/moracam/moracam.cfm">Webcam</a> looking southwest.

Good luck.

Here's a suggestion:

You can shoot an outstanding skyline view of downtown Seattle with the Space Needle from Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill. It's the most popular location for a "postcard view" shot of Seattle with Mt. Rainier in the background. You'll recognize the view from many commercials, and was used in the TV show Frazier. If you go there, you'll find other photographers both pro and am and you might see a commercial being shot using the city for a backdrop. For directions, Google "kerry park seattle".

You can see some examples at my website:

http://www.cafields.com (click on the "misc" button).

Feel free to browse the photos while you're there, as there's lots of Mt. Rainier photos under "NW Cascades" and "NW Waterfalls" as well as the Seattle photos under "misc" :)

C.A. Fields

I forgot to add, as others suggested, downtown Seattle. You can walk around from south of

Pioneer Square to the new Olympic Sculpture Park uphill to Capitol Hill district. I have some

on my gallery here on Photo.net. Seattle also has some excellent parks - Discovery, Gas

Work, Sandpoint, Arboretum, etc., just google them and you find many within quick driving

distance from downtown.

• 2 weeks later...