The problem with ".Raw" files

Despite ".Raw" files being so big, i can't find an easy way to view a preview

of the file in my file browser, have i got the settings on my PC set wrong or

are they just not visable as pre-views?

Or is there anything i can download that will enable me to view them as

previews,

any help with this much appriciated, cheers, Dan

In general, RAW files cannot be previewed in a file browser. You need proprietary software such as Nikonview or Adobe Bridge. If you did not get a viewer with your camera, you should be able to obtain or download one from the manufacturer (which you do not mention, oddly).

I have just bought my first DSLR and started shooting in RAW, which i find incredibly useful because i am still not competeant enough to get what i want pefectley in one unaltered shot. My camera, the Nikon D80, comes with a raw viewer but it is slow and cumbersome. There is a plug in for Nikon that enables Photoshop to open the Nikon RAW files and has a 1st step editor before it fully opens - again, something i find very useful.

i dont know what was in the link above, but windows has a file viewer that works the same as the default viewer for jpg's, bmp's etc, it just so happens that this download they have can open various raw files as well. Just type in a few searches in google and it will pop up.

I see now Microsoft has a set of downloads related to digital imaging, including a RAW viewer, which I have not installed. Nor do I use the original Microsoft viewer for other file types, like TIFF and JPEG, finding it very slow and of limited use. Basically, I have no need to pursue "freeware" when I have a color managed work flow through Adobe and Gretag-MacBeth.

Microsoft is chafing at the lead Adobe has taken in this area and in document management (Acrobat), which makes me suspicious. Is there a downside to subscribing to the Microft versions? Does it step on or otherwise interfere with other programs? One has only to recall the sabotage of Sun's Java. Like Persephone, are we doomed to stay in Microsoft Hell if we nibble at this table?