london

I have one day free while on business travel in London. I have been to the city

before, so I am not particularly interested in the typical tourist sites.

Instead, I am looking for interesting places to work on my urbanscape portfolio

(think Doug Etheridge, Gibson, ... ).

If it helps, I will be there May 12.

Thanks in advance,

David

From your site it looks like you don't need a high body density, like Leicester Square, but like geometry, so how about the area around the New Tate? Up and down the shore will be a nice mix of new and old and you're unlikely to get seriously mugged.

Holborn Viaduct crosses Farringdon Street near the old Reuters offices. There's a lot of interesting architecture that might fit in with what you've already done (the steps between the two roads are concealed in some towers) and just a little down the hill, the alleys around Fleet Street are home to some good possibilities.<div>00L03v-36325784.jpg.84572975d30088ddcaf667031044c1b0.jpg</div>

if you want to find some more of that great shot of an underpass tunnel i would head down to elephant and castle they have a mass network off tunnels in the station and surrounding area its also a pretty distinct area of london in that its basically horrible (well most of it anyway) and they have these huge council estates full of not very nice people but the architecture is modern from some angles and a 70's throw back in others. while your there have some east end pie, mash and liquer down at east street! the people round there are very interesting as well big mix of east end crooners and african imigrants. one thing i will say is dont take your best kit....

if you want stunning views of london get up to primrose hill (signposted from camden tube) everyone will tell you hampstead is wonderfull and it is but i think primrose hill gives you a closer perspective.

i am a concierge in london so any questions just ask.... im too nice like that :p

you're unlikely to get seriously mugged

Have you got some interesting gear,David. What date did you say? Only kidding.

London is full of tourists,it is probably the safest city in the world to walk around taking photos. Try LA in The USA, i have, exciting is the word that springs to mind.

All of London is interesting, walk anywhere, and you will see photos everywhere.

Being a London resident, I suggest that if you don't want the usual sights then head away from the centre on one of the main roads nearest where you're staying. Places such as the Old Kent Road, Kilburn High Road, Mile End Road, the Edgware Road, Caledonian Road, Kingsland etc. etc all offer gritty urban scenes close to the centre, full of character and diversity. Very few visitors ever see such sides of London - you'll be safe enough but you'll need to be respectful of the people around you, as no doubt you will. Walk from where you're staying to one of the Zone 2 or even Zone 3 stops and you'll get back to familiarity easily enough when you're done.

Hi Dave,

May 12th is a Saturday so I would suggest you might head to the financial district - known as the "City" or Square Mile, which will be eerily empty on the weekend. There are some stunning buildings - as well as obvious ones like "the Pickle" (the Swiss Re building), there are much older facades and cool little alleys and side streets. A new tower is currently being built near Liverpool Street station and is just awesome. Try any of these tube stations to arrive at: Bank, Moorgate, Liverpool Street, Mansion House, St Pauls, Tower Hill. Make sure you have a map (not an A-Z - just a good single sheet map of the area) and wander around. Brick Lane/Shoreditch/Old Street (near our neighbourhood) is very vibrant and bohemian - especially in the evenings and makes for great street/people shots if you want a change after a day of shooting architecture. My husband - Matt Rosemier (an ex-pat American) has a lot of people shots from around there in his Photo.net portifolio. Plus you can get an excellent curry in almost any of the restaurants around there.

As far as safety is concerned, you just need to be aware of your surroundings at all times like in any big city. There are dodgy people and lots of tourists do get mugged but I walk around with an DSLR a lot in fairly rough areas and have not had any problems. Be scruffy and look tough!

We'd offer to meet you for a drink but we have a family party that day. Good luck, enjoy London and please do get in touch if you need more specific info about the area.

helen