Pics in Fortune Mag

vic_.

Thanks for the link, Vic.

I suspect we are going to see some interesting developments in business photojournalism, now that Conde Nast has published the first issue of Portfolio, its new business title.

Fortune probably has quite an archive to draw on, given the stable of TimeLife staff photographers. Forbes less so, since it relies primarily on freelances. Can't say that I would recognize any images from Business Week. The Journal obviously doesn't have much of a photographic history to draw on.

It'll be interesting to see what Conde Nast has Annie Liebovitz do for Portfolio, and how the other competing titles respond to business eye candy.

Fortune was once considered somewhat "progressive." I have a copy from January 1935 that's packed with photojournalism...labor riots, foreign wars, the business of fashion..."Below you see some of Chiang's strong arm methods-an execution in Tiensin with the executioner inspecting his sword. Batches of 200 are decapitated..."

Lovely ad for a company called International Business Machines, touting their punchcard "tabulating" system. Exciting ad for Kodak about the excitement of night time photography with their Six-16 camera and a few photoflood lamps...