linda carlson

I have 2 pocket wizards and one Polaris light meter. I have one pocket wizard

attached to a Photogenic strobe via the proper cable connection. I have the

second pocket wizard attached to my Canon 20D via the hot shoe. How to I set

up the pocket wizard on the camera so that I can trigger the strobe with the

Polaris light meter from the subject's location? On the Pocket Wizard there are

two choices to insert the cable, camera/flash and flash. Where does the other

end of the cable go? I assume it's the camera body? How do I set up the

Polaris. Lots of questions, so little time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

In that situation I hand take the Pw transmitter off of the camera and hand hold it usign the

Pw test button withthemy meter (I use a Sekonic L-558 R) set to non cord mode.

Alternately use a sync cable attached to the PW camera/flash port and the other end

connected to the meter in cord mode.

I've never used a Polaris meter so I have no idea how they are configured.

Polaris has corded and cordless modes for flash metering.

Since you have 2 pocket wizards, you use on camera as a transmitter, and the second as receiver to trigger the Photogenic strobe palced remotely.

If you set your Polaris in flash cordless mode, it will measure your flash output from Photogenic, and you do not need to use cords for Polaris.

If you insist on using wires for Polaris, set it to flash corded mode, and use sync cable from either one pocket wizard or the camera. However, in this combination your flashmeter looses some freedom to place the flash meter in location that is most appropriate for the photographed subject. What other advantage do you expect from use of Polaris in corded mode ?

Thanks to Frank and Ellis for responding to my plea for help. Here's where I am - - I want to use the Polaris to trigger the strobes (wirelessly) to meter the flash. The problem I encountered was that the Polaris would not trigger the strobes from the subject's location. There is a short cable that comes with the Pocket Wizard, does that need to be inserted into the flash terminal at the top of the Pocket Wizard mounted on the camera's hot shoe? and does the other end of the cable get inserted into the camera? I've used the Pocket Wizards successfully to trigger strobes, I just want to add the third piece, the Polaris to trigger and read the flash. Thus far I've been unable to sort out which settings on the Pocket Wizard are correct, and which settings on the Polaris are correct to get everything in sync.

Thanks for your help.