Summicron 50: w or w/o built in shade?

I know this subject has been beat to death, so please excuse me as I try to

make a decision. Even though I realise that the earlier version's detachable

shade must be more effective, I can't get around how much bigger it is. So

far, I only have one Leica lens for my M6 TTL, and I like to always keep the

rectangular shade attached, even when stored in the bag. But that lens is so

small to begin with, so it's not an issue. I would alo like to keep the shade

attached to the 50mm if that's practical.

So, is the shade on the built in version really THAT bad? First, is it

considerably less effective in preventing glare as the removeable one? I've

also gotten the impression from others that it retracts way too easily when

bumped. Is that true? Is that convenience actually resulting in more of an

inconvenience?

Thanks to anyone who cares to consider this subject just one more time!

I own the 50mm summicron with the built in shade. I see nothing "that bad" about it. As far as it being less effective compared to the removeable one, I dont know, I never owned the other one. As far as it retracting when bumped, I never bumped it. If I did I would just pull it out. No big deal. If I ever lost my lens in some way, I would positively buy another of the same type, no question about it. I too have only one lens for my M6, and this is the only lens I want. The 50mm summicrom with the retractable shade. Gus.

the clip-on shade stays put and protects not just against flare but it phycially protects the

lens in case you drop it, bump it, etc. I don't like the built in shade. In addition to the

summicron, I have the 50mm Hexar too and even tho it has the built in shade, I still use

another shade that scews into the filter threads.

I have the 50 mm with the built-in shade and don't mind it at all. I haven't had

flare problems, so it seems to be serving it's purpose. My 35mm Summicron

has the detachable shade-- and that's nice too-- but I honestly don't think I

care one way or the other. To be honest, I miss the focussing tab on the 50

mm more than I do the rectangular, detachable shade.

LOL! Thanks, guys. I guess I should have expected to get pros and cons from both sides.

But Richard brought up something I had completely forgot about, the focussing tab! At first, it took me a while to get used to the tab on my Summicron 35/2, but now I love it. Unless someone has a better arguement, I think that will be the selling point for me.

For me, I prefer the built in shade. Just the fact of having one less thing to forget or lose

made it worth it for me. It is more compact and there is only one piece to worry about. It is

quicker to take the cap off the lens and get shooting. I never had any serious problems with

flare using the summicron with the built in hood.

First off, a cylindrical shade is nowhere near as effective as a properly proportioned rectangular one. I have averred it many times on these pages that if a circular shade is deep enough to protect against overhead, bottom, and side lighting that induces flare it will cause illumination fall-off at the corners. Conversely, if shallow enough to avoid corner fall-off it will not protect against light entering above, to the sides and below the rectangular format. The peculiarly designed 'petal' shades are designed to cope with this situation, particularly with wide angle lenses. My experience with 'built-on' shades has not been satisfactory. I have improved their performance by installing masks in the shape of the image format. The problem is less critical with longer focus lenses and I don't usually attempt to correct shades of lenses longer than 90mm despite that experience has shown that a mask installed in my 135mm lenses has improved flare prevention. I also avoid screw-in shades if practical. If subjected to a blow they will usually damage the bezel of the lens while a clip-on or push-on will absorb the stress and then will usually break away, saving the lens from damage. I might add that I encounter the flare problem mostly in 'contre-jour' lighting situation. I am aware that this is a controversial issue but the foregoing reflects my experience with over sixty years using Leicas as well as other formats.

Gee, I feel so unsophisticated about this issue. Been using those rubber (toilet plunger)

hoods that collapse and fit in the bag ok. Maybe I should change to the more acceptable

types described here. Hate to do this because I've already invested something like $14.85

for three of them.

"Get the one with the built-in shade. Then, get a cheap, metal vented screw-in shade on Ebay. Best of both worlds."

Exactly what I did and it works just fine.

Not that I found the built-in shade ineffective. I simply don't use filters for protection and having a shade with the potential to retract upon even minor impact is not a good thing.

"Get the one with the built-in shade. Then, get a cheap, metal vented screw-in shade on Ebay. Best of both worlds."

Exactly what I did and it works just fine.

Not that I found the built-in shade ineffective. I simply don't use filters for protection and having a shade with the potential to retract upon even minor impact is not a good thing.

The rectangular SOOFM barndoor shade, orignally made for the LTM collapsible Summicron, should fit on any E39 Summicron with an appropriate goove for it to clip into.

But the venting of that shade is arragned for the Barnack cameras, so there will be some viewfinder obstruction on other cameras.

I'm not at all ashamed to use the rectangular shades on 50mm lenses, I have the ones for Summar, Summitar, Summicron, and for the Canon 50/1.8. The Canon one is usable (with correct adapter) on any of the other lenses as well, and is better vented, but it doesn't fold up.

I use two bodies a M2 with a 35mm Summicron and a M3 with the 50mm Summicron don't

carry a camera bag as I believe a lens or camera in a bag may as well be at home in the

closet. One camera around the neck one over the shoulder some times under my jacket or

coat. When the M3 and new version 50mm Summicron was on my shoulder the built in hood

was always getting pushed to the retracted position. The hood in my case not only shades

the lens, but also often acts as a bumper. I traded the new built in hood Summicron for a old

tabbed unit with a detachable hood and think I got the better of the deal.

Shades are totally irrelevant unless you have a really old flare-prone lens (not a modern Leica, surely?). I use a shade on my old Summarit, (3rd party, not the bloody horse-scaring monstrosity supplied by Leica) but on my Noctilux or Summicron 28/2.0 ASPH I think they're not needed and anyway affect the handling.