D200 gets warm after use

graybird

I've had my D200 about 3 weeks and I notice that after each use the camera is

warm to the touch. I also have the D70 and never noticed this with that camera.

Is this normal with the D200 or should I send it back for service or

replacement. I also notice that the camera is really a battery hog as compared

to the D70 but have heard others mention this but not the heating situation.

Ray Dove

The earlier battery recall was on the EN-EL3, not the EN-EL3e. You cannot insert an EN-EL3 into the D200 to begin with, so there is no chance for any mix up.

In any case, the overheat problem for the EN-EL3 was during charging, not during usage/discharging.

My D200 doesn't ever get warm. My Konica-Minolta A2's do get warm because of the anti-shake feature, but if I keep it turned off everything stays room temperature. I've never felt anything from a D200. Seems like something is wrong inside yours.

Ray,

Do a small test - charge your battery fully, insert it into the d200 and leave it on the camera while the camera is turned OFF - check the battery status 24h later to see if it has changed. If it drained the battery there is a leak on the mainboard probably that is causing this overheating. If it doesn't drain the battery, check to see if it overheats when using the flash, if thats the case the flash board is probably bad and may need to be replace, you can check easily by feeling the left side of the camera where the capacitor and flash board are located. The camera shouldn't be getting warm - i've noticed that rarely but on occasion the power board on the d200 heats up slightly, but thats on the bottom plate - the key to identifying whether there is an issue is to see how and if the battery is being depleted, if thats the case then it needs to be repaired.

hope this helps

My D200 gets warm up very much when I use it on the selftimer mode and if I shoot around 40-50 shots on the selftimer mode , the body becomes so warm . I really thought this was the common phenomina with all D200. Can any one reconfirm or NIKON can clarify.!