Newcomer advice needed on flash

Mary, before you ask your questions, I would suggest you spend a lot of time searching on this forum and reading just about everything in the archives, again, especially the Newcomers section, as well as all the other sites others have suggested. I'll bet you will find answers to all of your questions.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shade and fill flash are your friends! That said, I thought your photo of the bride and groom dancing (in the big white tent) was very pretty! :) If you have a friend who does photography, it isn't a bad idea to have a 'second shooter' with you. Good luck with your 7 weddings. Hope you'll post here and show us what the tutorials, that have been shared with you here, have helped you do!

Wow, I've been following this thread, and I have one question. How the heck did we get from Mary Beth to Elizabeth??? I'm so confused.

To add my two cents, I have done weddings in the past, and "grew up" much like Mary Beth/Elizabeth, starting out knowing nothing and gaining knowledge. I didn't have the benefit of the internet, I pretty much had to learn it on my own. I hope you don't get discouraged. Many brides in this world today would have no pictures were it not for you and people like you.

When I shot, I only had one film body, but I had several good fast primes and two good flashes. Looking at your pics, I agree with others that learning "light" at this stage of your career should take the highest priority, with a good flash purchase being first and formost. The rest can wait for experience.

Where did "Lost in this big world" go? I'm still confused...

I'm still watching the posts and next Saturday I have been asked to do an indoor Pakistanis traditional bridal shower indoors...I'll be sure to put up some picks, I'm sure you will all have a field day! Mike the name thing goes along with the "Google internet identity" I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for the encouragement.

I use a 430EX and im very happy with it. It is powerful enough for my needs and swivels. If I ever decide to get a 580, i will now have a 430 i could use as a slave.

I would recommend investing in a 5in1 reflector. Its a great diffuser to shoot through and can also let you work with natural light more efficiently.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a link to an Ebayer that sells 5in1 and 7in1 reflectors. I bought one from him a few months ago and was very pleased. The price was very good for the quality.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/OEC-Camera-Accessories_reflector_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfromZR10QQfsnZOECQ20CameraQ20AccessoriesQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftsZ2QQsaselZ8132514QQsofpZ0

Re the flash--the most you can afford. Then get the battery pack later. Re the reflector set--they are great if you have an assistant (at weddings) but if you work alone, you will find it too fiddly and time consuming. Learn to use your flash for fill in a way that looks like no flash. Look at images by Marc Williams on this forum and on his website.

It sounds like you made a good investment on the flash. I am in my 3rd season of wedding photography and I must admit that after reading some of the posts I took a big gulp and wondered whether or not I would be brave enough to post my questions here.

I do think I will - because I want to learn as well - I'll just have to get a nice thick skin first!

I do want to share a little advice that no one else has: there is more to wedding photography than a good knowledge of composition, camera basics, and having good equipment. My best advice is PLAN, PLAN, PLAN - yes for the most part weddings are spontaneous events and you have certainly marketed yourself (from your photos) as a professional who will focus on the candid moments; however, if you have never really been "the one in charge" before you might be in for a surprise. When it comes to the photo moments the whole wedding party will be looking at you and waiting for your direction. How will you move them from pose to pose? What will you say to make them comfortable and get good shots? How will you remain calm in the moment and remember all of those important elements of flash and exposure while trying to remember not to cut off their feet?? It's not easy! Scout the location in advance, preferably at the time of day the wedding will take place. Plan where you want to pose people and a few ideas for "fun" pictures.

My technical advice would be to invest in the Gary Fong's Lightsphere II diffuser for your new lens ASAP and start practicing using bounce flash for these next few events you have coming up - the Lightsphere comes with a little tutorial that is really helpful.

Lastly, take all the advice you get from this website, but don't let it shake your confidence. You might not be the best wedding photographer in the world, but you need to walk into these weddings with a belief in your abilities because people will be looking to you for direction!

To see some of my work you can visit my website www.theinfocusphotography.com and feel free to critique away - just be gentle ;) - Lisa H.

• 3 weeks later...

Elizabeth. I have worked as a professional photographer for about 15 years. I still see pro images that are substandard and "amateur images that blow me away. Take on board the information and criticisms that you require and disregard the rest. There will always be someone to put you down however good you are.

It is the constant learning that will take you to the place you want to be. Just believe in yourself.