My first rangefinder

But sadly I think I'll have to look for another. I bought a Canon Canonet (the

original) off of Ebay. It was $3 so I figured if it didn't work, I wasn't out a

whole lot of money. It's in very good physical condition with the exception of

some bright marks but no brassing, deep gouges or dents. Here's the list of

problems I've found so far:

1) The shutter is stuck closed. No matter what I do, I can't get it to release.

2) The lens is loose. It moves about 1/16" side to side and up and down. When

moved out to it's minimum focus distance, it obviously moves more since there's

not really anything to stabilize it (if that makes sense). The 4 screws at the

base all have what appears to be a dab of glue on them. Was this done at the

factory?

3) The camera won't operate on auto mode. This may have something to do with the

loose lens. The shutter button won't operate in this setting but it works on any

other aperture setting. The red dot in the viewfinder is always on in this mode.

There is also a bit of a bend in one of the aperture blades.

4) The rangefinder works well but the meter seems to be erratic.

5) The timer doesn't work.

If I could just get the shutter to work, I could work around everything else or

would I be better off just to resell it for parts and purchase a different one?

I've never handled one of these before and it's a decent size for my large hands

so I'd like to get another one. I also like the bottom left-hand film advance.

Chalk it up to experience. Seems like a lot of work for that camera. A CLA could run around $125 although KEH advertises less but that doesn't include repairs. I'd keep looking on this site and others that advertise. You can pick up rangefinders that work for under $100 but not likely for $3.

<P><I>You can pick up rangefinders that work for under $100</I></P>

<P>That's the problem. I don't have a whole lot of disposable income to spend on cameras and gear. I usually try to find stuff that's available for under $20 or so. I know that limits my selection but it's what I have to work with.</P>

Re-sell it on eBay. "Looks Minty but I'm not a camera person, so I have no way to test it." You will immediately make a large profit.

Then, look for a tried and tested Konica Auto S2 (under $50). Big bright viewfinder, parralax correction and excellent Hexanon 45mm/f1.8 lens.

I'm sure that there are dozens of others just as capable as the Konica, but I can only comment on what I currently own or have used in the past.

I seriously doubt that you will acquire a working rangefinder in the $3-$10 range.

As mentioned above, anything that is going to need a CLA in order to function is going to cost more than the camera is worth.

<P><I>Re-sell it on eBay. "Looks Minty but I'm not a camera person, so I have no way to test it." You will immediately make a large profit.</I></P>

<p>Lol. Good call. :D I've seen that MANY times due to my price range.</P>

<P><I>Then, look for a tried and tested Konica Auto S2 (under $50). Big bright viewfinder, parralax correction and excellent Hexanon 45mm/f1.8 lens.

I'm sure that there are dozens of others just as capable as the Konica, but I can only comment on what I currently own or have used in the past.</P></I>

<P>I'll have to keep that in mind. I've been looking for cameras with quick lenses (Yashica 14E, Canonets, etc.). I'll add that to my list. Thanks.</P>

<P><I>I seriously doubt that you will acquire a working rangefinder in the $3-$10 range.</P></I>

<P>I've come up lucky before finding stuff that was a deal that worked (AE-1 and 135mm 2.8 lens for $15 was the best one). I don't go out buying everything that's under $10 but when it's $3 with a reasonable shipping cost (not this $12-18 crap that most sellers try), I don't mind giving it a whirl. </P>

<P><I>Check and see if the self-timer lever has been moved, this may be the reason for your stuck shutter.</P></I>

<P>It's still there but doesn't move.</P>

<P><I>Unless you bought it "as is" contact the seller and request he refund your money.</P></I>

<P>For the $8 I have invested, I'm not going to worry about spending the $6 to send it back. It was sold untested anyway.</P>

"Unless you bought it "as is" contact the seller and request he refund your money."

Who are you kidding, the cost was $3.

"Send it to Dean Williams over at Nelsonfoto.com, he'll fix you right up."

For a $3 camera.

"For the $8 I have invested, I'm not going to worry about spending the $6 to send it back. It was sold untested anyway."

Why do you buy junk? There are plenty of fish in the sea. Look for a clean Olympus XA locally, you'll save yourself a PITA journey.

<P><I>Why do you buy junk? There are plenty of fish in the sea. Look for a clean Olympus XA locally, you'll save yourself a PITA journey.</I></P>

<P>See my post above about sometimes getting a good deal on cameras. And there is no local cameras. The one and only photography/camera shop was driven out of business by Wal-Mart.</P>

Shane, don't believe the negative comments...they're just trying to score the deals for

themselves. In the last 6 months I've acquired an Agfa Silette and Super Solina, Braun

Gloriette, Ilford Sportsman [nothin to brag about though], an awesome gem in the Regula

Cita III and a Zorki 5. All for under $20, with decent shipping charges. The Regula has

given me grief with a wonky transport lever but if I'm gentle I'm rewarded with the best

pics. The Zorki, in aqua blue no less, certainly is a conversation piece. The Super Solina is

my new fave...I realised I can see thru the viewfinder with glasses on! Don't even ask me of

the great folding cameras I've picked up. Every now and then I get a dud or a fixer-upper,

but if it's over 20, sometimes $30, I don't buy it. I also picked up a Watameter rangefinder

to fix to my folders, for $12. Deals are out there. Especially at dinner time and 2am when

no one is watching their bids. Good luck.

Maybe you are able to fix it. If you don't need to touch the shutter (it is normal that one of the blades has a small bend at the tip) the rest should be repairable.

I bought my canonet off 'bay too, I had to fix the rangefinder (the silvered mirror had come off) recalibrate it and other small works. ("Of course it was sold as "perfect".....).

Try to put the camera in manual mode and see if you can cock/release the shutter that way, until the camera is in auto and the needle shows red it blocks the exposure. Check also the "T" lock around the release button.

A bit of oil made also auto exposure work, the mechanism has many moving tiles, although a more thorough cleaning + lube would make it more reliable (since it sometimes stick in vertical position).

For the 3$ you shouldn't have fear of tinkering yourself with it. Once done it is nice. I extra bought the original model: I wanted the bottom lever. Try doing street with it, it is fun!

OK, Shane, in order--

1) This is most likely "Canonet Stuck Shutter Syndrome". The grease from the focus helicoid migrates to the shutter blades, dries up, and causes them to stick. See the Classic Camera Repair Forum at KYPhoto for information. See also Rick Oleson's Canonet repair notes at his website.

2)The dried-out grease makes the lens looseness more noticable. And yes, the 4 screws most likely were glued at assembly.

3)See #1. The shutter isn't going to operate in any mode until it is cleaned. The red dot means the meter thinks there isn't enough light for a proper exposure, so it won't let you take a picture in Auto mode. Most likely either a poor connection in the meter circuit or the selenium meter cell itself is bad. Remember, it's over 40 years old now.

Some shutters have a bend at the tip of one of the blades.

4)See #3.

5)See #1. The self-timer won't release because the shutter is stuck.

Don't despair! All of this can probably be fixed. See the sources mentioned above for advice. How did I learn? By buying on ebay and tinkering! Remember, it's just a camera. If you can't fix it there's plenty more where that came from. And as you have already seen, sometimes you can get lucky!

<P><I>You got what you paid for.</I></P>

<P>Great advice as always from you.</P>

<P><I>If you don't need to touch the shutter (it is normal that one of the blades has a small bend at the tip) the rest should be repairable.</I></P>

<P>The shutter blades are nice. There's no bends but it looks like they haven't worked in some time so I think it's what Donnie said.</P>

<I><P>Try to put the camera in manual mode and see if you can cock/release the shutter that way, until the camera is in auto and the needle shows red it blocks the exposure. Check also the "T" lock around the release button.</I></P>

<P>I can press the shutter button in manual mode but still no shutter response. The timer button was pressed when I got the camera out of the box. I found a manual online and read through it. I found that turning the ring out of timer mode got the button to pop up. Maybe it sat like that too long? I'm not sure.</P>

<P>Thanks to those who provided the helpful information. After reading that advice, I'm probably going to make my first attempt at disassembling a camera on this one since it was cheap enough.</P>