Should I accept $30/photo?

A publisher wants to use 2 of my photos for a travel book about Tokyo. They have asked me to send an

invoice for $30/photo. According to my quick research, the price should be in the $200 range (worldwide,

10-50,000 print run, 1/4 page).

I don't really care about the money, but don't like being taken advantage of. Is this just a negotiation

opening gambit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"I don't really care about the money"

Photographers that make their living from travel and other editorial work do.

That is just one reason why you should not accept anything below the "going rate".

Also watch out for exclusive rights to the photographs. ASMP web site may be of some

help to establish pricing and copyright.

http://www.asmp.org/commerce/business.php

Thanks for the link Paul. And good point about preserving the price level for people who rely

on it for a living. The size and print run I mentioned are just guesses. In her email she just

said, " We've selected two of your photos. Send an invoice for $30/photo (that's our house

rate). She didn't say how they'd be used.

I've written the publisher requesting info on how the pics will be used.

It would be satisfying to tell her to go to hell, but more satisfying seeing my pics in the book.

I definitely don't think you should accept $30 a photo for a book - that's just dumb.

On the other hand, I don't buy into the dogma that says that we all owe it to the "professional" photographer to keep photo prices high so that a few people can continue to make a living doing something that the rest of us are happy to at our own expense.

If it was me the answer would be no, but I make my living off of photography. If you feel it is

fair then do it. I would defiantly negotiate. A local paper stateside you would get $75 per

image if you were hired freelance, or at least $75 per hour. Remember there is always more

publications out there. If feel good about the deal then do it. Good luck

I'd suggest you counter-offer by asking for $100.00 for both images. I sell many travel pictures and this is a fair amount to ask.

<p>

Sure, there are those that can command a higher fee, but that doesn't do you any good. If they don't buy from you, they will buy from another photographer for the same price. If they wanted to pay a higher price, they wouldn't even be talking to you.

<p>

I also think along the same lines as Aaron & Jeff. Pros have to adjust to the changing climate of the photography market. Sink or swim.

Always set your prices higher and then negotiate lower - you give them te price you are worth if you give them a low price that will be the price you are known for. If you give them a hgh price they'll think that you are probably the shit and you will known for your high prices which sets your respect level.