My postings never move from Critique Forum to Top Photos

corkman

I must be doing something wrong. I submit photos for critiques and ratings. They

receive 5 or more ratings plus critiques in the Critique Forum, but never move

from there to the Top Photos Category 24 hour, 3 day, etc. This has happened

with each of my last 5 photos posted and none of my searches on the site have

provided answers so I thought maybe some members could clear up this mystery for

me.

The criteria used to determine the "24 hr", "3 day" etc. Top Photos sorting is based on the <b>initial</b> upload date, not the date you submitted them for critique. I didn't look at all your recent critique requests, but your most recent (First Carnival Ride) was uploaded in February, but submitted for critique on April 16. Because of the upload date, this photo will never make any of the Top Rated categories other than the "3 months" or older sorts.<P>

Just a quirk of the Top Photos page that most aren't aware of. If the same applies to your other recent photos posted for rating, you won't ever see them in the TRP either. The only way you will see older photos from your portfolio in the default "3 day" sort of the TRP is to delete them, upload them again, and immediately submit for critique.

Michael, you are a valuable asset here on PN and I would like to thank you for your knowledge about this site and the polite and courteous way in which you dispense your information. You are a good example to me and many others here, thanks again! The PN administration should give you a free lifetime membership.

I guessed that there was probably some technical reason for what I was experiencing, and unlike others on this site reacting to frustration with the rating thing, I didn't think that there was some conspiracy going on here that I should take personally. Thanks so much for your quick response and the clarity of your explanation. Unfortunately, over the past few weeks I've been plunged back into the dark ages by a move that took me from a high-speed broadband connection to the dreaded DIAL UP, so uploading graphic files is a painfully slow process. I agree with TIM, photo.net should at least give you lifetime subscription plus a medal acknowledging your thoughtfulness to other subscribers. Thanks again!

Michael's answer is correct and applies to most who ask the question, but it's more complicated than that. It is entirely possible to upload images, acquire what appears to be the minimum of five rates and still not appear on the default 3-day page.

The problem is that both direct rates and category rates have an effect on the placement in the Request For Critique queue, but don't count towards the minimum number needed to qualify for the Top Rated Photos pages.

It used to be that qualifying for the TRP gave you several thousand views (most as a thumbnail on a page), but recently the number of views have been dramatically reduced. The Home Page thumbs could be to part of the reason, but there's something else going on which no one seems to have noticed, admins or users.

<i>"... but recently the number of views have been dramatically reduced."</i><P>

Carl - the thumbnail "view" is no longer counted in the statistics, which would probably account for the dramatic drop in the <i>number of views</i> counts you have seen recently. What we are seeing now is a truer representation of the number of people actually <b>looking</b> at a photo by clicking on it.

I wondered about that.

I was never one to complain about thumbnail views counting because it was in indicator of the extent to which an image had an opportunity to be seen.

Based on the new "view" data, it seems like the vast majority of "viewers" - people who open an image and look at it - don't rate or leave a comment. Maybe 80 - 90% . . . about the same percentage that see the thumbnail and don't open the image.

YMMV.