My first problem wirh a Nikon F after almost 40 years with it

I notice, since a few days, that one of my old Nikon Fs stops counting frames

at number 12. I am able to finish the rolls but is annoying because after that,

you can not know how many pictures you did. Once the roll is finish, I put in

other one and happen the same: Stops at number 12.

Is it easy to repair it one self?

Thanks for your help.<div>00KpBZ-36104984.jpg.70c437050661453256208be24185f67e.jpg</div>

Sheeze! The thing lets you down after only 40 years! Now my Nikkormat FTN (1967) is probably going to screw up on me...

It's good to know that it will probably only require a CLA. Alas my confidence in Nikon is restored. I have 6 Nikons and expect every single one to out-last me. They range from 1967 to 1984 and I've yet to get one CLA'd.

Jeff, I think a better place to ask this question would be the Camera-Fix Forum (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/camera-fix/), or the Classic Camera Repair Forum (http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi). Or perhaps someone else here can confirm or deny what I remember...

It's been a long time since I've played with a Nikon F, but I seem to recall that the entire film counter mechanisim is located in that bump above the wind-lever, and is easilly accessable by loosening the three set screws at its base (see picture). Don't remove them, they're tiny. They just need to be loosened enough to allow the cover to be lifted off. A f<div>00KpPX-36109184.jpg.d5313ce1da33ee2219b0b38597b89497.jpg</div>

Humm, the software here didn't quite post what I wrote!!!

Just wanted to add that you should get confirmation on this before trusting that lovely Nikon F to the accuracy of my memory.

If a few quick blasts of Dust-Off doesn't solve the problem, then leave it to the Camera doctor.

Good luck.

Like David said. I had a similar experience with a Nikon F I bought about 3 years ago that had been dropped. The frame counter was sticking at frame 26 so I decided to have a look inside to see what the problem was. Nothing was immediately obvious so I put it back together.<br>

And guess what? After that it worked just fine; I must have shifted what was causing the problem just by taking it apart. Good luck, Steve

One nice thing about the F series is that you can access just that side of the camera without having to pull the entire top plate, like you would on a Nikkormat or any other fixed prism camera.

The downside is you need to buy or make yourself a special tool to remove the collar on the release before you can get the right side cover off.

• 4 weeks later...
The used Nikon F I got in 1962 has never had a CLA yet; but it gets used still. Folks new to photography and collectors always ask me to have the foam changed; for a camera body that never had any. I suppose in 2030 folks will be advocating muffler bearings for nikon F6's. Folks creditability drops when they preach adding "required parts" as must haves; to cameras that never had any. Many counters just get sticky as the grease gums up; often just thru little usage.

Oh boys. After that, my inner question is: Why this kind of post has never been in the Nikon forum? Just have sights to the Nikon forum and you`ll see why: Not almost one knows what a Nikon F is.

May 16th: Meanwhile she is been repair: 34 euros. Not bad. Knowing My Black Lady F is going to surpass me for sure, I fill a novice again.Wow?