50 mm

issamikel

I have owned (and used) two Summicron's (latest version and DR), the Zeiss Planar ZM and a Konica M-Hexanon. Unless you can afford the latest version of the Summicron, I would advice you to go for the Zeiss or the M-Hexanon. On value, the M-Hexanon can not be beaten. And it's built like a brick as well.

I agree with the Zeiss Planar. I've owned and shot professionally with all optical versions of the summicron. If I'm not incorrect the current wersion is the same optically as the tabbed version that I just sold. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also had the older style 2.8 elmar and like the lens but it's not up with the summicron and particuarly not he Zeiss. I also have the asph summilux and favor the rich creamy tonality of the Zeiss over the asph. I also find the Zeiss to be equal to the asph summilux in sharpness and contrast but much mor classic looking.The Zeiss is an exceptional value. I purchased my black one new with USA warranty from Calumet for $461 with box and all paper work.

I've used both the latest Elmar-M and the early-'70s version of the Summicron. The difference between the images is negligible (except at f2 :-) ) But the 'cron is more user-friendly. Aperture can be set more accurately from f8 upwards-- it has 8 blades to the Elmar-M's 6. The Elmar-M can be collapsed, but I almost never do that, making this feature unimportant to me.