Recomendations for photoshop

I hope I not asking a question taboo to this forum, but I was wondering what the

best machine primarily for photoshop and filter processing and some video work.

I was looking at the Mac Quad core Xeon's, nice but is it worth it? A friend of

mine recommended an older Dual Processor Mac G4 1.25 ghz. Or should I go with a

dual dual-core processor Xeon (5030 series or better)?

Basically my Asus A7M-266-D finally died it had two Athlon MP 2000 processors

with two gig worth of ram.

I don't want to start a Mac vs. PC argument, I am just looking at the pros and

cons. I have used both platforms and I like both.

Thanks for your help!

Peter

If you are buying Mac for Photoshop, then by an Intel. The reason is simple The G5 and G4

processors are history. Photoshop may support the older processors one more generation

but I would not count on it. Mac will support these older processors with their OS maybe 5

years at the extreme. Adobe latest version of Premiere for Mac is only supported on the Intel.

No matter what system you by need about 2G worth of RAM, Photoshop 3 needs at least

512Mb of RAM. You may want to look at an Alienware machine if you interested in PC. I work

with both Mac and PC. I do tend to use Macs with Photoshop. I did find this funny according

to Microsoft 70% of pro photographers use Macs. I was betting only 10-20%.

Today, Peter, and I say this as a Mac user, it doesn't make much of a difference. The shop is the shop, no matter which OS... If U have sw & hw gear specific to Windows, I'd say "stick with it". Though U might be able to run such on an Intel processor Mac. A year or so ago a leading exec from Adobe was quoted as to his preference to run the shop on a Windows computer. Compared to only a few years ago programs work very fast on either platform. The rest is dependent on Ur investment.