compact lenses for a leica

I'm looking for a compact lens for a leica m mount (m3 or m6). I'd like to be

able to fit my camera in my inside jacket pocket for some espionage work!

<br><br>

Something around 35-75mm would be suitable, and maybe f/2.0 or f/2.8.

<br><br>

Anyone have some thoughts on this matter?

<br><br>

regards<br>

Frímann Kjerúlf<br>

www.skynvilla.is/dreamspy

50 2.8 Elmar collapsible is a very nice 50, but as stated, unless you have really big pockets, even the smallest lenses can't make the body quite small enough to be convenient to extract the body from a pocket. The CL is better in this respect. My solution for "espionage" is simply to put the camera around my shoulder and then put the coat on over it. Your strap must be just long enough to swing the camera from under your arm and to your eye. The nice thing about this also is that there is no way for the camera to fall off your shoulder to the ground because of the coat sleeve.

If you're going for a "traditional" job (papers!) get either a classic colapsible 50mm Elmar or a cron with removable head and a additional ring to mount that stuff on the 4 leged BOWU copystand, which can be worn under a coat too. - Colapsible Russian 50mm lenses should be way cheaper than a ring to mount them on a M.

Warning: Ms are damn heavy. Your jacket will hang extremely suspiciously on you, once you stuffed the camera into it.

Consider also a Retina II; it's a very innocent looking old folder with a fixed half decent 50mm f2.0 lens.

I concur with the shoulder strap - I bought a mountaineering sling and a small caribiner clip from an outdoor shop, fitted a strong key ring to the strap lugs on the camera and find it nestles neatly by my side and easy to bring into action as required.

In some parts of London though I'm conscious that I may be suspected of carrying a hidden weapon... hope that's not the case where you are!

I also find that an M body (with cap) fits nicely into the inside right-hand pocket on a jacket. I carry a 35mm Summicron in another pocket, then assemble as needed.

Funnily enough, I was wandering around today wtih an M3, complete with

collapsible Summicron, in my pocket; if you have a Belstaff, or any M65-style

jacket, all of which are pretty fashionable right now, they fit in perfectly and are

not that noticeable. With the lens collapsed it's probably shallower than the

CL altho it weighs a damn sight more...

Hi, Fr쭡nn. I agree with John Gleason and Pico di Goliardi. I suggest also a collapsible standard lens, as Summicron 50 mm f/ 2 (available only in the used market) or Elmar 50 mm f/ 2,8 (available used or new), or the Summitar 50 mm f/ 2 in LTM mount, simply adaptable to the M mount (available only in the used market). I own the Summicron-C 40 mm f/ 2 and the LTM Summitar 50 mm f/ 2. Are both great lenses, but are difficult for search the correct filters. In the 35 mm range, i suggest also the Summaron 35 mm f/ 2,8 that i own also (is a very very good semi wide angle). This lens exist in "goggles" version (mine) perfectly usable on the Leica M3 and all Leica M version (except Leica M5 and Leica CL) or in "less goggles" version, for all Leica M (except the M3). The "less goggles" version is very small and pocketable. Ciao.

Please forgive the all cap's.

Hi, Fr?nn. I agree with John Gleason and Pico di Goliardi. I suggest also a collapsible standard lens, as Summicron 50 mm f/ 2 (available only in the used market)

ONE MAY STILL BUY THE 'CRON NEW.

or Elmar 50 mm f/ 2,8 (available used or new), or the Summitar 50 mm f/ 2 in LTM mount, simply adaptable to the M mount (available only in the used market). I own the Summicron-C 40 mm f/ 2 and the LTM Summitar 50 mm f/ 2. Are both great lenses, but are difficult for search the correct filters.

FILTERS ARE EASY TO FIND.

In the 35 mm range, i suggest also the Summaron 35 mm f/ 2,8 that i own also (is a very very good semi wide angle). This lens exist in "goggles" version (mine) perfectly usable on the Leica M3 and all Leica M version (except Leica M5 and Leica CL)

IT'S PERFECTLY USABLE ON THE M5, BUT BULKY, i.e. NOT WHAT THE O.P. ASKED FOR.

or in "less goggles" version, for all Leica M (except the M3). The "less goggles" version is very small and pocketable. Ciao.

NON-GOGGLED LENSES, OF COURSE, MAY BE USED ON THE M3.

Gotta love the internet.

The new Elmar. Or possibly a faster lens if you can keep the camera concealed under your

coat and then shoot from the waist. Fast lenses mean faster shutter speeds and a lot more

flexibility. Even a 90 T/E is not excatly large. Use Fuji 400 NH or Superia, both superb

films. Go for something even faster and grainier or even IR for ultra low-light. Or try a P/S

like the Minilux or Mini 3 (if you can find one). These are so small no-one will notice.

Use IR for super fast speeds you say David? I'm familiar with IR films, never shot one though. But are they any faster than normal films?

<br><br>

I just bought this lense over at ebay: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150108005226&rd=1&rd=1"> LEICA M 50MM 2.0 Collapsible SUMMICRON</a> <br><br>

Hope it will do the trick!