8x10 Tripod Head?

stephenwood

I have a Sinar p2 and usually attach it directly to the tripod but am finding a

lot of times I need to pan/tilt the whole camera. I've been searching for a

while for a head to support the weight of the p2 and hopefully also have a quick

release plate. The ball head I use on my 4x5 works great but even though it

will support the weight of the 8x10, it wobbles to much. So I'm looking for

suggestions from anybody with similar weight cameras. Thanks in advance,

I like the Bogen 3047 head, which has a quick release plate. My cameras are wooden, so I used a couple extra screws to attach the plate, which adds piece of mind as well as prevents rotation around the tripod mount on the camera. These are quite strong, easily handling my Gundlach 8x10 with a Turner-Reich triple convertible lens, the combination of which is quite hefty. At any rate, I never have movement problems with this head with any of my cameras...

- Randy

I found the 3047 didn't like heavy loads and the parts eventually distorted, so I replaced it with the 3054 which is extremely heavy duty but appears to be no longer made. Try the heavy duty version of the 3047 instead which is either the 3029 or 3049. These all come with Bogen's hexagonal quick release plates.

For those using field cameras, Bogen makes a 4"x4" quick-release base plate for the 3047, 3029/49 and the 3054. This gives even more stability for those cameras when on a strong pan/tilt head.