Epson R-D1 and magenta cast

g-man1

Well, the awful truth is out. Synthetic fibers cast odd colors. It isn't just an M8 problem.

Color film has a similar problem. We can now all breathe more easily or uneasily now.

I should be getting my IR filters from Leica soon.

Old news. Not many Leica users pay attention to any such news. That is the problem!

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00HTKX

I asked Jorge T and Peter Werner about the IR/UV responses when they posted (here) about them putting down payments for their M8 (before it went on sale).

One responded that he did not care and the other was not overtly bothered.

Many who used the R-D1 were never bothered by its IR response.

Buy a Hoya R72 filter and make use of the camera!

When I worked on Wall Street, the Waspy bank had sartorial rules. Among them were: No synthetic fabrics to be worn, and women could not wear trousers. With these simple rules, there would be less global warming, and no magenta cast. Tradition.

As Vivek noted, this is somewhat old news. I've noticed it mostly when shooting shows, etc., where the spotlights apparently emit lots of IR. The R-D1's sensitivity to IR (& that of most films per Alex's post) is still much less than the M8, though.

The B+W 486 filters seem to solve the problem w/both cameras.

Vivek and Christopher, never said it was new, but thanks for your comments. The UV IR cut filter solves this problem. You'd think Leica would've looked at the Epson magenta issue before finishing the M8.

"You'd think Leica would've looked at the Epson magenta issue before finishing the M8."

Maybe Leica observed that this problem with the R-D1 was largely ignored by reviewers and purchasers and therefore thought, incorrectly, that they could get away with it too.

Sorry. Leica did not look at anything. They are still in the dark about the Kodak sensor.

BTW, if anyone is interested in UV captures, the M8 is the camera to use. Leica/Kodak would continue to claim that there is no UV sensitivity. But that is untrue.