FP4+ grain issues in 35mm

geowelch

Your scan looks far more grainy than my usual combo of FP4+ in Rodinal 1+50, which as you can imagine, is not something I do to get fine grain... One thing that does concern me, is a friend of mine recently showed me a print he made from a roll he souped in something fine grained (I think DDX) and it too was more grainy at 5x7 than my Rodinal souped stuff at 8x10... This is a tiny sample, but perhaps there was a bad batch of film? I have not shot any in 35mm in a while personally, so I have nothing to add.

See if Vuescan works with your scanner..it's not on the list..ask by email http://www.hamrick.com/

Vuescan has a grain reduction alogrithm that doesn't soften grain...works great with my Nikon.

Alternatively, scan the neg as if it was a slide, then invert in Elements or Photoshop or whatever. That's a Nikonscan trick with silver negs..without it, Nikonscan exaggerates grain. Might work with your Canon.

I'm hoping to upgrade my scanner to an Epson 4490 in the next few weeks - I need a scanner that supports medium format as well as 35mm. It comes with Digital Ice. I've seen good results from the same bulk roll this negative came from. I think I'll concentrate on exposure and dilution before I think about switching film, although I have a few rolls each of Agfa APX100,

Fuji Acros 100 and Delta 100 that I'm dying to try...