Anyone Here Still Using Old MF Lenses with Their DSLRs?

albertdarmali

FWIW, I had a D100 converted to infrared. I get much better results with my old AI lenses. I

leave my Nikor 28mm on the camera and sometimes use my 55mm or 105mm. All these

lenses have an infrared focus offset mark (red dot) that works just fine. For exposure, I take

a guess for the original shot; then fine tune with the histogram. Autofocus lenses, especially

in auto mode, restrict me to f11 or smaller apertures because of the IR versus visible light

focus offset. Zoom lenses have a varying offset depending on the zoomed focal length. So,

the old standard lenses end up the best choice.

I only have one AF lens, the 300mm f/4.0. I don't have a digital camera ATM but I had a D1 and D50 and loved the 50mm f/1.4 AI. It was my most used lens. I was very happy using the histogram to determine exposure.

In the future I hope to be able to try some unusual lenses such as the Leica 90mm Elmar thread mount and so on. A lot of old lenses are very interesting - sometimes better than new ones!

Nikn D200; 24; 55 micro; 85 1,8; 105 micro; 180 ED. All manual focus.

Kit 18-70 + 300/4 afs.

In my lates trip i took 24, 105, 180. Nothing wrong with the current AF stuff, it's just that nowadays the price/quality ratio with MF Nikkors is just incredible. Ciao Marco

I just started using a f3.5/55mm macro AI lens (about 30 years old) with my D50. No

metering, no autofocus, no "D", no "chip", no problem. I chimp at the screen and check the

historgram, use an external SB600 set to all manual. For this particular lens, I only use it for

things that sit still... flowers or "studio shots" which I do every now and again for my work. It

was a bargain at less than the price of a decent filter.

I'm using literally hundreds of manual-focus lenses with my various Nikon DSLRs. So many hidden gems out there if you know what to look for.

Sometimes the old optics perform even better then the modern counterparts, or operate in a different and to me more useful fashion. For example, ED lenses without IF tend to give a clean image without the annoying CA fringes so often seen with modern IF designs. The 200-400/4 Nikkor is a good example of this. My 85/1.4 AIS is an amazing performer for landscape work with my D2X, in fact superior to the AFD 85/1.4 (which I also own and use, but then mainly for portraits and low-light work). There is no lens better or more suitable for IR photography than the old vintage 28/3.5 Nikkor (non-AI). The 105/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor is an cutting-edge performer both for close-ups and landscapes. The same can be said of the humble 50/1.8 AIS nikkor. I could go on ad nauseam, but hopefully the message comes across clear enough: newer doesn't entail "better", just newer. Or sometimes, more convenient.

I have set up a CPU chipping program for many of my manual lenses so they will give me full metering on all cameras. While you can manage shooting by adjusting exposure according to the histogram, this approach doesn't lend itself to rapidly moving subjects or fluctuating light levels. Hence the chips. Currently I'm experimenting with reprogramming the exit pupil distance on some of the chips to see if this improves metering accuracy.

I use an ancient Nikkor 300mm 4.5 Q lens with my D70. Mostly tripod mounted -- meter doesn't work, of course, but I shoot a couple of test shots & use histogram to determine exposure. Equivalent to 450mm lens on 35mm -- sharp as a tack & built like a tank. I LOVE it

Sure - I've used a 35/2.8 and 50/1.8, as well as a no-name 28/2.8, on a D50. It's not as much fun as a 45/2.8P, which is chipped (but a bit long). Anyone who has used older unmetered twin-lens cameras or anything like that will have no problems. And you get an interesting "look" as well.

Of course. I use the D100 (&F100) and have a marvelous Nikkor 300/2.8 which I use for some wildlife & sports work. I wouldn't think of fooling around with an autofocus lens for this stuff (yes I tried one for several months and it didn't measure up). And I usually use manual focus with my autofocus lenses for any macro or closeup work. I also enjoy using some of my manual Leica M lenses (with a Visoflex mount and Cameraquest adapter) on the D100. Yes, I enjoy autofocus for lots of stuff, but manual focus lenses really have their place.

Hi,

I have two. I have an old converted 50mm f/1.4. It doesn't see much work so far, but I have it should I need it. I also bought a 105mm f/2.8 Lester A. Dine Macro to go with my D200. I'm dreaming of a 500mm, but that will have to be a Manual lens as there's no way I could ever afford the AF of that one.

I just love how easy it is to tell the D200 what lens I've added in front. Just love that camera.

Lil

28/f2.8 AIS, 50/f2.8 AIS, 75-150/f3.5, no metering, no problem.

I actually enjoy shooting with them more than my AF lens, they give a physical connection to what I am doing, and mechanically, both the focus and aperture rings just feel so nice.

Hmm, looking through the list, do people still use manual zooms?

Yup. I have only a few autofocus Nikkors. With my D2H I'm still using most of my manual focus lenses: 28/3.5 PC-Nikkor; 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor; 85/2 AI-S; 105/2.5 AI; 300/4.5 AI ED; Spiratone Portragon and other T-mount lenses. I'd use my old 180/2.8 too if it were AI'd but haven't gotten around to it - gotta send that one off for modification.

Hey one reason to get my D200 was to have a platform to hold the cheap old glass with modern comfort :-)

Did anybody mention yet that one of the best results of automatic digital cameras is that the old "obsolete" MF lenses are so cheap now you can get the best of best lenses in EX+ for almost nothing?