Canon 5D

avrum_rabin

With due respect, it would be a good idea to search the discussion archives a bit for

answers to this question. It has been a frequent topic of discussion here and elsewhere.

There is no publically available hard information about when an update to the 5D might

come, nor is there any strong indication of what form it might take.

Regarding timing, opinions range from "why didn't it come out earlier this year?" to "may

be in September" or "no sooner than next spring" or even "why would they upgrade when

there is no full frame competition for this camera?"

Regarding the form of the camera, opinions range from "it will be the same with minor

upgrades" to "it will be the same but get new features introduced on the 400D" or "it

might be the same but have a 16MP sensor" or even "there might be a less expensive

12MP full frame model and a 16MP model at the current price point" to, well you get the

idea.

There really isn't anything solid to go on here right now.

I personally own two 5Ds, purchased last September and then another in February--just

before the new model announcements. I was willing to do that, despite the possibility of a

upgrade, because it's such a fantastic camera already that it has no shortcomings that

limit me. I have no use for more pixels at this point. The sensor gives clean images even

at high ISO. The viewfinder is big and bright. Focusing is fast and easy to control. The

LCD could hardly be any larger. It's solidly built and feels great in my hands.

It's like buying a computer. Sure, something will come along sooner or later that's bigger/

better/faster/whatever. But that doesn't mean you always need the newest thing. Get

something that works for you and then use it until it wears out. The 5D is a great camera,

and it'll still be a great camera even IF they announce a 6D in October. (Incidentally, I

doubt they will... it always seems people are expecting new models much sooner than they

actually materialize.)

"I have no use for more pixels at this point."

Neither do I, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5D successor with the same pixel pitch as the 1D Mark III, since the 5D has the same pixel pitch as the 1D Mark II's.

That'd put it at about 15.75mp (4860x3240).

I agree with Peter, If they came out with a 6D with 15 mp, it wouldn't warrant an upgrade for me.

My personal opinion is to wait for a 2x jump in mp before considering an upgrade. Example: 5d at 12mp to a 7D at 22 mp and skip the 6D at 17mp.

That said, the 5D is so remarkable to me as is because I usually only print to up to 13 x19.

"Go take pictures".

This is a gearhead forum. While taking pictures is nice. . .talking about pictures is for another forum.

This is a gearhead forum. Talking about existing EOS equipment is what we do here.

However. .. talking about non-existant EOS equipment is only a passing fancy. . . and threads on this topic are liable for purge.

That said: Canon historically does NOT have a three year upgrade cycle. If you look at the low end cameras, the cycle started at 12 months and has more recently stretched to 18 months. The 5D is now at 18 months. . .and many did expect an upgrade last month. The 30D is at 12 months (assuming you actually consider it a seperate model from the 20D). . and many expect an upgrade in the fall.

That said: There is no photokina show this year (where canon typically does product announcements). It would *not* surprise me if neither camera is upgraded this year. Canon probably wants to constrain R&D costs, and stretch out the product cycles.

"I don't need more pixels".

Well, SOME don't. I would welcome it. I would spend money on it. (but not 5D type of money. . may 30D type of money). My monitor recently grew and became a LCD. For optimal viewing. . .I could (and would) use more megapixels to peep at :)

"I would welcome it [more pixels]. I would spend money on it. (but not 5D type of money. . may[be] 30D type of money). My monitor recently grew and became a LCD. For optimal viewing. . .I could (and would) use more megapixels to peep at :)"

Jim: you don't want more pixels ... you want the currently available pixels at lower prices! (Aren't you still shooting with a 10D?)

>>Why can't there be a sticky about these types of threads...<<

Really! And...the every popular "which is better, the 70-200 f/2.8L IS or the 70-200 f/4l IS"...or..."do you leave IS on all the time?"

But, to answer the poster: I went from the 10D (a great camera in its own right) to the 5D and the difference is phenomenal. I don't think you'll see a new 5D (or a replacement) until next Spring/Summer.

So, it's up to you. I am getting an XTi just to have a smaller camera to take with me when I don't want to carry the 5D with grip, etc... Thus, the above suggestion of buying an XTi now and get a FF later is also a smart move.

Have fun with whatever you end up buying!

• 3 months later...

"Thus, the above suggestion of buying an XTi now and get a FF later is also a smart move."

Thanks guys, that's reassured me. I'm a recent refugee from the Nikon system, I want a full frame DSLR (eventually) - therefore I'm investing in a Canon outfit from scratch. This year I've decided to put my money in good lenses for the future, with only enough cash left for the 400D (If I had the money free now I would have bought the 5D already).

I'm starting to save up for my next Canon body, I want the replacement to the 5D to incorporate the 400Ds excellent anti-dust technology.

In the meantime the 400D is a really impressive camera, so I won't feel deprived while I wait for the replacement for the 5D.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 5D is the best camera I've ever owned for three reasons:

1. Full size sensor gives me more control over the picture because I can use a wider range of lenses the way they were designed to be used. Wide angle has returned.

2. The full size sensor give much lower noise than any other digital camera I have ever used. This means I can take hand held photo's under a very wide range of conditions. This is important to the amateur because we are capturing moments which cannot be repeated.

3 You buy L lenses to match the capabilities of the camera.

As big and heavy as the 5D is, I have never regreted taking it with me once I see the pictures I've taken. It takes fantastic pictures under low light condtions.

Still I will upgrade for:

- Better sealing - I am constantly getting dust on the sensor.

- Auto ISO - this would be a very nice way to shoot indoors.

- Better Auto-Focus - although this is hardly ever a problem, I know the 1D has better autofocus.

I will NOT upgrade for:

- a few more pixels

- a few extra frames per second

- a smaller sensor - I am not going back to APS.

- minor firmware improvements they should give to me anyway.

More pixels is always nice. More frames per second would be nice. Better compression on the RAW is also nice. But I have to have sensor cleaning and Auto ISO to make a compeling upgrade.