too much light harmful for sensor ?

Obviously, the camera used makes a difference here. In a dSLR the sensor

is only exposed to the sun while the image is taken. So, given your exposure is set to something reasonable no damage is to be expected.

P&S cameras are a different story, since their sensors are exposed to the sunlight all time. Still I think a picture with the sun in frame, at tele end, overexposed some stops will not harm the sensor as long as you cover the lens before and after the shot.

Given you install a camera fixed on a tripod, and you automatically take one image the minute. Lets assume this camera does this for some hours, and within this time the sun will be in the frame. If exposure is set reasonable, the sensor of a dSLR will be unharmed, but damage within the lens can still not be excluded. With P&S sensor damage is not unlikely, because the sensor was exposed to the sun all time, so the sun had it's chance to "burn in".

There's probably more danger to your eye while trying to compose the shot.

You would have to leave the sun in view of the sensor long enough to overheat the thing. For a DSLR, that would mean a pretty long exposure, probably several seconds. I doubt you'll be shooting an exposure that long in daylight, even for HDR.

When I include the sun using a long telephoto I use a tripod; setup the shot with the sun outside the frame; use min aperture and DOF preview while moving the sun into the frame, but still compose quickly; take my eye away, set my desired aperture, and shoot. Then I move the camera on the tripod so that the sun is back out of the frame so I can review on the LCD without risk to the viewfinder, AF, or AE sensors.

I've taken plenty of exposures this way at 200mm and 300mm with no damage.

David - How do you end up with a 30 second exposure in daylight? Even with the sun in front of you?

Even with the sun near the horizon and filtered through clouds or fog I can't imagine needing that much time.

I would consider 30 full seconds with the sun in the frame of a telephoto, in broad daylight, to be potentially damaging to the sensor. Filtered through clouds...hard to say, depends on the impact of the clouds.