Singh Ray LB warming polarizer

tbs

Does anyone here have any experience with the newest Singh Ray LB warming

polarizing filter? I am strongly considering it for outdoor scenic shooting,

since the one thing I notice about my polarized shots do date (and which has

made me almost give up on the thing!) is a slight bluish cast to them, which

this filter seems exactly designed to combat.

Are its polarizing properties as good as any other good polarizer? It claims to

have only a 1-1/3 stop filter factor, which would also be delightful, since I

frequently use slow (ISO 64 speed) slide film. Is this item as wonderful as it

sounds? Also, could the 52mm version of this filter be used on the 24mm f2.8

Nikon wide angle lens without vignetting?

I own this filter and have been pleased with it. It definitely gives your subject a warm cast.

Not overdone, but obvious. I haven't really tested the brightness compared to without it; I

just meter through it. But I'd trust Singh Ray not to deceive us. As to using it with your

wide angle lens, I don't know for sure. I don't have that lens! I can tell you that on my

Canon EF 17-40, I get slight vignetting in the corners at the widest end.

One thing to consider. Take a look at the Nikon lenses you'd LIKE to own someday. See if

they share a common filter mount size. Canon sticks almost exclusively to 77mm for their

higher-end stuff. Is Nikon similar? If so, consider buying the filter at that size, and

buying step-up rings for smaller lenses. That will ensure that you only need to own one

copy of this very expensive filter, and it'll serve the dual purpose of ensuring you won't

vignette on that 24mm lens.

Have fun!

Peter

Which brand of polarizer do you currently use? I have a Nikon CPL II polarizer which is neutral in color compared to the cool color of some other brands. Nikon's current polarizers have very thin mounts so won't vignet even on wide lenses, and they have front threads so regular front caps still fit. I am curious to hear how Singh Ray polarizers compare, especially since they aren't as dark.

If your pictures are consistently cool, it may be worth trying different film with warmer colors. For what it's worth, I usually shoot Provia 100F with good results. This film gives natural, slightly saturated colors. It has a reputation for being cool but that's true only if shooting in cool light - then I use an A2 warming filter. Astia is warmer but I prefer the crisper rendition of Provia.

• 1 year later...